SSD performance difference when used on sata II or III

almeida82

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,
I don't keep up with the benchmarks etc.
I do know that the main advertised spec for an ssd is sequential read/write speeds.
for example, I am dealing with OCZ agility 4 256gb, and the speeds are about 4-500 mB/s.
now I am wondering, as far as everyday performance goes, how important is the sequential read and write speeds. is this the main factor in how it performs, or are the other speeds like 4k etc that I've noticed, which are lower speeds determinant.
and I am asking this because I just ordered a laptop that has pretty good specs EXCEPT that it has a SATA II connection. the laptop itself is a quad 2.3 apu, 8 gb 1600mhz, so i'm wondering how much of a difference I will experience with the ssd, compared to the same build with sata III.
is there a benchmark that would show the NET EFFECT of running a sata6g ssd on a sata ii port??
thanks!

Solution

4K Random Write speeds are the most important benchmark for the majority of users: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Don't know where you can find such a benchmark. However, I can tell you definitely that replacing the regular hard drive on your SATA II laptop with ANY good quality SSD, be it SATA II or SATA III, will make a HUGE difference in how snappy the laptop feels and runs - HUGE, I tell you!
After one year we replaced the standard hard drive in our basic Pentium 2.0GHZ dual-core laptop with a Kingston V+100 SATA II 96GB SSD. The little Pentium dual-core is not a whiz-bang fast processor, and compared to recent model SSDs neither is the Kingston V+100. Nevertheless, after cloning our Windows 7 system unchanged onto the Kingston SSD, the laptop feels faster than ever - quick boot-up, quick loading of programs, even the Chrome internet browser opens quicker. My buddy's 2.4GHz quad-core laptop with 7200rpm drive is noticeably slower in comparison.
A SATA III SSD may be your fastest option because it has the speediest small-file performance (the kind you use all day long) even on a SATA II laptop. But, if you can find a good SATA II 120GB or larger model at a real knockdown clearance price then go for it. Personally, I would trust Intel, Kingston, Sandisk , Samsung and Crucial before I would trust OCZ or others ....

4K Random Write speeds are the most important benchmark for the majority of users: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS