SSD Performance issues

McIntosh4

Honorable
May 13, 2016
Hello everybody,

Yesterday, after finally installing Windows 10, I randomly tried to test my SSD performance using Samsung Magician. It gave me poor IOPS results, as shown in the picture:
Ocl7gyc.png

Model number is EVO 850.

I should also note, last time I did this test was around 3 weeks ago~, so I can't tell for sure it's happening BECAUSE of the new OS. But I think it should be said.
Of course I also tried optimizing performance -> without change.

I tried contacting Samsung Support regarding this issue but they're kinda lame wherer I am at...

Thanks in advance!

Hey there, McIntosh4.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the IOPS if the SMART status of the drive is OK and if it does not have any errors. IOPS results depend on your system as well and are pretty variable sometimes. You could try testing the drive again by using a different SATA port and different SATA cables, to see if the same thing happens. Although I'd recommend that you turn off RAPID Mode for that test, just to see what kind of results you'll get without it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

McIntosh4

Honorable
May 13, 2016
Boogieman_WD, Tesetilaro,

Thank you both for your replies.

I probably also wouldn't mind it, but the thing is I can actually feel the degraded overall performance of the OS. Even though my new Windows 10 SHOULD thoretically be faster, it is in fact slower than the Windows 7 I had just yesterday.
And as for replacing SATA cables - I don't have any immediate spares, and ordering new ones could take a couple of days. The SSD takes up the only free SATA 3 port I have.

This really isn't the regular result.
I forgot to note, last time I did this test was around 3 weeks ago~, and at that time (inc. all the other times I tested performance in the past) results were extremly close to 100% (for both R and W IOPS).

Thank you both very much again!

Well, if you think that there might be something wrong with the drive (because you've mentioned degrading performance), you should backup the important data you have on that drive and run a diagnostic test, just to be on the safe side.

Also make sure that TRIM is enabled. Basically it should be enabled by default on Windows 10, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Make sure that you have enabled Over-Provisioning (OP). This takes a bit of the drive's storage capacity, but it makes managing the data on the memory blocks a lot easier and improves the overall performance of the SSD.

Here are some more tips regarding SSD usage: http://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/. I know it says Win 7, but those suggestions are also viable for the newer versions as well.

Well, with HDD's I think it's something normal as everything you write and delete on it, messes up the allocation for new data and you'd have to regularly run defragmentation in order to keep things going as they used to. With SSD's there shouldn't be such an issues due to the over-provisioning space left and due to TRIM as this is everything needed in order to keep an SSD "nice and tidy" throughout its lifespan. However, the memory blocks have a write limit and at some point they reach that limit and you are unable to write data on those blocks anymore, which leads to reduced performance. Everything else is probably due to each individual program/app/tool/utility (or whatever it is called) installed on the drive after the OS. There are many programs that are on autostart, which trigger additions processes processes, which require more RAM, CPU and/or disk usage.

I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for, but I hope I've been able to help to some extend. :)

McIntosh4

Honorable
May 13, 2016

I followed most of the tips in this guide, most of it was already completed beforehand...
Still doesn't fix the issue. I think I'll just leave it at that and hope Samsung will release some fixes for this and other issues in the future (I read on other forums and threads about some more issues with the 850 EVO and 840 EVO, since around September 2015...)

Anyway, thank you both for the help, I'll just do my best to ignore it :p