SSD power failure

newbs

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Greetings everyone
I was planning to upgrade from HDD to SSD now. I have been told that, considering that i am using a 7 year old HDD, it would be quite an improvement. The problem is that i have read that SSD can die from sudden power loss. I live in an area where sudden power loss happens from time to time, nothing i can do about it. Add to that that sometimes i am forced to do a hard reset of the PC because of blue/black screens. That counts as sudden power loss too. Both of these occurrences are not that common but happen several times a year. If i buy an SSD now will i have to worry several times a year that my SSD could die?
Before someone mentions warranty, yes i would get warrany 3-5 years depending on what SSD i buy. Going through with the warranty is a hassle in my city though, so replacing something once/ a few times a year is a problem.
So my question is : If you consider my situation, should i stick with HDD or dare to upgrade to SSD?

Solution
Yes! Get an SSD, you won't regret it! ;) Samsung and Intel SSDs are the ones I personally prefer. This doesn't mean that other brands are not good either, brands like Crucial, Patriot, SanDisk, etc, are all good too. I would recommend getting an SSD that's 250GB or larger. Not smaller.

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply. It is basically a battery that you plug something into and when power cuts out the stuff that's plugged into it keeps running for a little while until the battery dies. This way when power cuts out your computer will keep running and you can shut it off properly. Good UPS brands include APC and CyberPower. I personally prefer APC, but it's just my taste. Old models run on eBay fairly cheap but it doesn't...

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014
Okay first of all you should get a UPS if you don't have a reliable power source. Now about the SSD. First and second generation drives were more susceptible to corruption when there was an unexpected power loss. Newer ones with better firmwares are better built with that kind of protection so it's harder for them to die from a sudden power loss. Keep in mind though, this doesn't mean you can go around all day plugging and unplugging your computer while it's on all day or something like that. You still risk data loss, doesn't matter if it's an HDD or an SSD. So it would be a good idea to get a UPS, they usually run fairly cheap used on eBay.

SSDs offer great performance boosts, you won't be sorry you upgraded. They're awesome :)

newbs

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Never heard of a UPS before to be honest. What does it do exactly? What is a good/reliable UPS? So many new questions lol . Your suggestion would be to get an SSD then?
I was looking at 250/256 gb models, like these : Crucial BX200, Patriot Blast or maybe Samsung 850 evo, even though Samsung SSDs are expensive in my area.

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014
Yes! Get an SSD, you won't regret it! ;) Samsung and Intel SSDs are the ones I personally prefer. This doesn't mean that other brands are not good either, brands like Crucial, Patriot, SanDisk, etc, are all good too. I would recommend getting an SSD that's 250GB or larger. Not smaller.

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply. It is basically a battery that you plug something into and when power cuts out the stuff that's plugged into it keeps running for a little while until the battery dies. This way when power cuts out your computer will keep running and you can shut it off properly. Good UPS brands include APC and CyberPower. I personally prefer APC, but it's just my taste. Old models run on eBay fairly cheap but it doesn't matter if they're old or new. They last a LONG time. So it doesn't have to be new. You can look up some reviews online or something, but yeah it would be a good idea for you to get one.

Solution

newbs

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Can't believe i never heard of UPS. They are amazing for people who have problems, like me. I would need an UPS with 800 AV min for my system and that is expensive in my area, almost as much as an new SSD. Can't afford both at the moment. Should i get the SSD now then UPS later? What are chances the SSD will just die after a power loss? I have done some research about that but didn't find much.