SSD , probably did something wrong, major headaches.

steelbiker

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Hey Folks,

OK...granted I'm not an uber computer person, but I can switch out my own motherboard. Anyhoo. I figured installing an SSD should be / would be simple. It has turned out to be not the case.

I picked up a Samsung Evo 250GB SSD. It had no mounting brackets. Its for my desktop. My desktop case (antec 300) doesn't have the 2.5 inch slot, but rather 3.5 regular bays. When I bought the drive, the shop gave me a metal housing bracket, but the screws are too big to fit into the back of the SSD. SO after doing some research, I left on the bottom of the case, temporarily until I can get back to the shop which is closed until Boxing Day (yes I'm writing this on Xmas Day).

Anyway. I did a fresh install of Windows 7. No problems there, and heck I'm even downloading all the software and stuff. I did back up my data files. However....here's where the snag comes in. I have a 250GB drive, that is split between the following:

Drive C: 232GB (172GB Free) has OS/Programs on it.
Drive D: 99.9MB (System Reserved) 37.9 MB Free
Drive E: (1/2 partition of 1TB WD Black /7200 rpm 463 GB (410 FREE)
Drive F: (other 1/2 old C drive / OS drive) formatted: 467 or 467 GB FREE.

I don't get it. usually I see some sort of fat table or something on that drive F.

If someone could explain though, where 18 GB off the SSD (250 - 232 registered). Went to...I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks