SSD Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Revonav

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello all

I recently bought a OCZ Agility 3 120G SATA 3 from newegg to put Windows 7 on. I already have a 7200 rpm drive with windows on it but I bought this new one with the intention of making my system faster, etc.

Here is what i did. I took out all of my current HDD's (two HDD's, one SSD) and mounted my new 120g SSD. I put in the W7 disc and started up the computer. Installation came up like normal and I went to select a drive to install a fresh copy of W7 onto. Unfortunately, my SSD didn't show up. After switching SATA power & data cables several times, and rebooting, it still didn't show up. I even went into the BIOS and it didnt show up in there either. Any suggestions to fix it, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much in advance. :)

Revonav

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
So I shouldn't install the firmware updates then IMO.

One thing that is still bothering me is the SATA III socket problem. What do i need to download to be able to plug my SSD into my SATA III ports (Marvell SATA port?)?

FIRST
Check to see what Marvel controller you have, If it is an older one, You may be better off staying on the Intel SATA II port. You will probably find that real life performance is very little diff.

The prefered port is the Intel sata III, which you do not have. Thoes with a Z68 chipset have in addition to the Intel chipset a NEWER marvel controller.

As for updating the SSD firmware. OCZ recommends the linux boot disk method. The last firmware was 2.15 (maybe a newer one). Updatated both of my Agiglity III's with no Problem. And yes I'm planning on dumping them for a Samsung 830.