Question SSD not recognised ?

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I need some help please! I have a Dell Latitude e6520 laptop. I decided to upgrade the HDD to a SSD. I have done this before with no problems. This laptop is different. No matter what I do, This laptop will not recognize the SSD. I upgraded the bios to the latest one. I have been in the bios adjusting things but no matter what I do, the SSD is not recognized or no boot device found. A HDD is no problem. I have initialized the SSD etc, but nothing. There is Legacy mode and there is AT, ACHI, & RAID. If I plug the new drive in via USB and try to clone it, yup its there, but it won't show up in the bios after the cloning is done.
I have never had a problem setting up a SSD drive. I usually put it in the drive caddy and boot from the DVD/CD drive and in stall Windows 10 with no problems. What am I doing wrong? Am I over looking something?

What is the make/model of your new ssd?
You should be able to clone your current Windows HDD to the new ssd and simply replace it.
You may need a usb to sata adapter cable to do the clone.
If the ssd is samsung, use the samsung ssd migration app which will create the necessary windows partitions, but not the dell hardware restore file.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
You should be able to clone your current Windows HDD to the new ssd and simply replace it.
If the ssd is samsung, use the samsung ssd migration app which will create the necessary windows partitions, but not the dell hardware restore file.
The SSD is a Eluteng
Msata to Sata 3.0
Model : S101-1M
P/N: ZM2016031623586
This Dell laptop has a lot more settings than my other ones. It is a Latitude E6520
How do I know if it has RAID? In the bios, it has Legacy mode also. This laptop was made in 2017

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
The current HDD is acting up. I would clone from it but sometimes it freezes up. The new SSD doesn't show up in the bios at al, no matter what I do. When I go back into system config, it just says primary hard drive= NONE

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
The current HDD is acting up. I would clone from it but sometimes it freezes up. The new SSD doesn't show up in the bios at al, no matter what I do. When I go back into system config, it just says primary hard drive= NONE
The SSD is a Eluteng
Msata to Sata 3.0
Model : S101-1M
P/N: ZM2016031623586
This Dell laptop has a lot more settings than my other ones. It is a Latitude E6520
How do I know if it has RAID? In the bios, it has Legacy mode also. This laptop was made in 2017

You very likely have a conventional laptop with a 2.5" HDD.
I have never heard of a Eluteng ssd.
I doubt the laptop has any raid option which implies two drives.
I would attribute problems to the ssd you have.
Yes, a ssd replacement of a HDD will vastly improve the performance of your laptop.
Here is a video of how it is done:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae2pkPGGelk

Installing windows on a laptop can be difficult.
You need more unusual drivers that are make specific such as keyboard and battery software.

Buy a simple usb to sata adapter cable like this:
https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb...30=7901739382081059583&id31=en&id32&id33&id34
Use Macrium reflect to clone your working HDD to the ssd.
When done, just replace the HDD with the ssd.
If you think the ssd is defective, buy a samsung 2.5" ssd and use the samsung ssd migration aid to do the copy.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Did you clear your cmos, or replace the cmos battery on the motherboard (not the laptop battery itself) ?

If not try either or both.....if you replace the battery, be sure to wait about 1 hour before installing the new one....

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
You very likely have a conventional laptop with a 2.5" HDD.
I have never heard of a Eluteng ssd.
I doubt the laptop has any raid option which implies two drives.
I would attribute problems to the ssd you have.
Yes, a ssd replacement of a HDD will vastly improve the performance of your laptop.
Here is a video of how it is done:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae2pkPGGelk

Installing windows on a laptop can be difficult.
You need more unusual drivers that are make specific such as keyboard and battery software.

Buy a simple usb to sata adapter cable like this:
https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb...30=7901739382081059583&id31=en&id32&id33&id34
Use Macrium reflect to clone your working HDD to the ssd.
When done, just replace the HDD with the ssd.
If you think the ssd is defective, buy a samsung 2.5" ssd and use the samsung ssd migration aid to do the copy.

OK, so here's what has been done. I took the HDD and cloned it to the SSD with no problems. I put the SSD in to another dell laptop, XPS M1210 and it works with no problems. Then I tried it in the Latitude E6520 and it is not recognized . I also tried it in a Latitude E 6430 and it is not recognized either. I can install a HDD in either one of the latitudes and the HDD's work fine. I sure don't know what else to do.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I'm back again. OK! This is what I have been up to. I cloned the SSD again with another laptop. I took the laptop SSD out and put in the one that I cloned. Everything works fine. I took the freshly cloned SSD out and put it in the E6520 Dell laptop and it still doesn't work. No drive detected. I am convinced that the BIOS is NOT setup correctly. The SSD is NOT listed in the Boot Sequence. I get in the BIOS and tell it to load the DEFAULTS, still nothing. I have set it to LEGACY and still nothing. Even the SSD that works in another laptop won't work in the E6520. Can anyone tell me how I can straighten this mess out?

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Why does nothing, like litteraly nothing show up when i google for eluteng ssds. they make enclosures yes. i highly advice you to steer away from unknown brands , ssd is one of those things you do not want to save those few bucks on, its really really stupid . you cant put a price on data loss. it seems like one of those goldenfir or goldenspec ones from aliexpress, which are just awful. you have no way to read its health with any software and the majority of drives just die without any warning ,

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I have a Kingston SSD also. Same thing happens. SSD is not recognized. I also have a Compaq Presario and the SSD is recognized. I have an HP laptop too and no problems with it either. All these laptops recognize the cloned SSD drive but not the Dell E6520 laptop. If I put a mechanical drive in the Dell E6520, there is no problem, it is recognized and it works.