[SOLVED] SSD question

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
So de basic "strategy" was to buy one 120GB SSD for windows and chrome and another 120GB SSD for a main game like Rainbow six siege or GTA V but I ended up getting just one 250GB. Can I have both windows, chrome and game files on it?Like can I separate them on different files like I can on a HDD. If not i can get another 250GB SSD right know for a spicy price, 18bucks.Btw if the model matters it is a Kingston A400

Solution
If you're asking if you can create partitions on an SSD to segregate your game and your OS? If so, then please don't do so as it deteriorates the lifespan and performance of the SSD.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows treats an ssd the same as a hdd. Whatever you've done on a hdd can be done the same on an ssd.

Back when ssds were kinda pricey i got a 512GB ssd for my once primary system (i7 920) and a TB hdd for downloads which you can redirect in browsers. Games in steam not really fussed with ssd speeds i either moved or installed to the hdd.

Ssds are pretty cheap now especially sata. I bought a 1tb ssd for my main rig a couple years ago reusing the hdd in the same way as my previous system. I have quite a few AAA games on the 1tb ssd, Farcry 4,5, Primal & ND, Ghost Recon, GTA5, Dying Light, Doom 2016, Rage and Project Cars 2 and I've got about 200GB free. The hdd has few more games like Halflife, Portal, Duke3D, games that combined can consume a lot of space so had to move them to clear space because i was a lot closer to maximum on the ssd which isn't good for performance. It's recommended to keep at least 20GB free on ssds.

250GB is kinda small, id go for a 1 or 2tb for sure.

USAFRet

Titan
So de basic "strategy" was to buy one 120GB SSD for windows and chrome and another 120GB SSD for a main game like Rainbow six siege or GTA V but I ended up getting just one 250GB. Can I have both windows, chrome and game files on it?Like can I separate them on different files like I can on a HDD. If not i can get another 250GB SSD right know for a spicy price, 18bucks.Btw if the model matters it is a Kingston A400
There is absolutely no need to partition a drive like that.

You can have all that in the single partition, that also contains your OS.