SSD RAID and SSHD combined

Ggaming

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hey there mates, i'm about to get 2 SSD 60GB and set it for OS booting only. what if i set it to RAID 0 MODE, will it double the speed of OS booting time?

And as for the storage, i prefer to have SSHD. can i use SSD caching like intel SRT to combine SSD in RAID 0 and SSHD? knowing that SSHD is already a hybrid type of disk. will it still work fine or improve overall performance?

All reply will be appreciated,
Thanks in advance. :)

Solution

What do you mean by "pairing"? Just having 2 drives? Sure. That is quite typical.
Some sort of RAID array? Don't do that. A RAID 0 array is limited to the size of the smallest member. A 60GB SSD and 1TB other drive = a 60GB RAID array.

As far as using the SSD as a cache in front of the hybrid? Don't do that either. The SSD portion of the hybrid is already a cache. You'll be gaining nothing except extra complexity.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
There was an article about 2xSSD in RAID 0 vs 1x double size SSD. I cant find the link now, but it was quite conclusive that the single drive gave better performance and even booted faster than the 2 drives in raid.
I would much recommend that you get one 120GB SSD only. RAID 0 Also doubles your chances of disk failure.

Ggaming

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
how about pairing my single SSD with hybrid HHD? because what i'm trying to do is to have the speed of SSD and have a storage capacity of Hybrid HHD. well, i can have typical HHD but Hybrid HHD performs more faster right. and last thing. can i use SSD caching with Hybrid HHD? will it work?

USAFRet

Titan

What do you mean by "pairing"? Just having 2 drives? Sure. That is quite typical.
Some sort of RAID array? Don't do that. A RAID 0 array is limited to the size of the smallest member. A 60GB SSD and 1TB other drive = a 60GB RAID array.

As far as using the SSD as a cache in front of the hybrid? Don't do that either. The SSD portion of the hybrid is already a cache. You'll be gaining nothing except extra complexity.

Solution

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
I test that in my own system x2 RAID0 SSD SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series and the speed goas 55% increased and as gaborbarla said "RAID 0 Also doubles your chances of disk failure." and thats normal in RAID0.
BTW SSHD can coase some inflect with SSDs in some cases.

USAFRet

Titan

Speed increase in what? Benchmarks or actual performance?
I'd love to see some graphed results on that.

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013

In 3-4 days I will do the test on my reg :)