Question SSD randomly disappears

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
INTEL SSDSA2BW120G3H, it is an old ssd I use to store temporary files on, CrystalDiskInfo S.M.A.R.T. shows 94% health.
It is connected to Asus Z690 Prime via SATA cable.

It is working flawlessly, but every week or so, it decides to disappear (Windows decides it shouldn't show up)
And once I restart, I go check in BIOS for storage devices, it is detected there, and once I boot into windows again, it is there! (It always takes a restart to make it reappear, and it is always detected in BIOS, so it isn't causing serious problems for me right now)

Has anyone experienced a similar problem before? if so, is there a way to prevent this behavior? Thank You.

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
One thing that's bugging me is I have a recording app that saving files on this SSD, and whenever this happens the app can't detect the SSD's directory, so it just saves stuff on my desktop, that's how I always notice the ssd is gone 😂(I capture a lot of screenshot/videos) and I have to restart to fix it, always.

Reactions: Falcore01

Falcore01

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
INTEL SSDSA2BW120G3H, it is an old ssd I use to store temporary files on, CrystalDiskInfo S.M.A.R.T. shows 94% health.
It is connected to Asus Z690 Prime via SATA cable.

It is working flawlessly, but every week or so, it decides to disappear (Windows decides it shouldn't show up)
And once I restart, I go check in BIOS for storage devices, it is detected there, and once I boot into windows again, it is there! (It always takes a restart to make it reappear, and it is always detected in BIOS, so it isn't causing serious problems for me right now)

Has anyone experienced a similar problem before? if so, is there a way to prevent this behavior? Thank You.
yup. i had this happen to me on my other motherboard...i was gaming one day and the house power cut off and on for a split second and ever since its been exactly as you described, same 'fix' and everything! but now, i just built a new rig with a different mobo and its absolutely hit or miss if it shows up or not! and the old 'fix' does NOT work on this mobo...both are gigabyte x570 boards and the ssd in question is a Samsung 860evo 1tb...not that old and when it does work i run tests and everything is fine so idk. maybe the thing that makes it get detected, some microscopic chip somewhere got fried in the power snap

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
yup. i had this happen to me on my other motherboard...i was gaming one day and the house power cut off and on for a split second and ever since its been exactly as you described, same 'fix' and everything! but now, i just built a new rig with a different mobo and its absolutely hit or miss if it shows up or not! and the old 'fix' does NOT work on this mobo...both are gigabyte x570 boards and the ssd in question is a Samsung 860evo 1tb...not that old and when it does work i run tests and everything is fine so idk. maybe the thing that makes it get detected, some microscopic chip somewhere got fried in the power snap
Oh could be... I experience power outages too once or twice a month