Question SSD randomly disconnects.

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
My Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD keeps disconnecting randomly.
About once or twice a week it would stop responding. I spotted it first when videos played on it would sometimes start to glitch during playback or when I click somewhere on the timeline. The other thing I noticed is when downloading large files there would be error or when downloading torrents, it said media not available or something. I don't remember. If it happens again, I'll update. When it happens, it doesn't disappear from My Computer but if I delete a file and it goes to the bin, I'll see it back in its place after restart. Some folders won't open, videos won't play, etc. So I restart but it stays stuck in the Motherboard logo screen. So I disconnect and reconnect the SATA cable and it start PC and it starts up fine. The drive is detected, it's all good until the next disconnect. So I tried different SATA cables and connect to other SATA pots on the motherboard but nothing changes. I got tired of opening the case again and again. So, later, I wouldn't remove the SATA cable. I'd just turn the wall power off and on again and the PC would restart fine and the SSD woudl work again, until the next disconnection. So I think it's not the motherboard causing the problem. I also have another SATA SSD that doesn't have any problems. The disconnection seems to be happening more often now, once or twice a day.
So, I removed everything from the drive to somewhere safe and full formatted the drive. I started downloading some huge files again and it has been about a day. I don't have any disconnections yet.
Any idea what the problem is? Is there any particular program and diagnostics I can run to pinpoint the problem accurately or is this a known issue and I can easily claim warranty for it or is it something more complicated? I ask because so far I haven't been able to reproduce the problem after formatting the drive. I'm downloading stuff and update if the problem is found again. My Internet is slow so this will take some time.
Could it be overheating issue? I swapped its physical location with the other SSD too guessing it may not be getting any moving air but that changed nothing. I don't think it's the PSU either. It's a new system but the SSD is older but not too much. I still have warranty. I want to make sure because here, if the problem is difficult to reproduce, they may not agree to the warranty claim.

Last edited:
Any idea what the problem is? Is there any particular program and diagnostics I can run to pinpoint the problem accurately or is this a known issue and I can easily claim warranty for it or is it something more complicated?
Diagnose drive with SSD manufacturer tool.

And replace the drive.

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
Diagnose drive with SSD manufacturer tool.

And replace the drive.
Ran all four self tests. All results came out green. No issues shown in the diagnostic results. The drive didn't disconnect yet after formatting it. Could the problems return if the drive is repopulated? Will report if that is the case. Mean time, any other ideas?