[SOLVED] SSD read/write speeds max out at 2mpbs with 100% active time, is it dying?

BobMathrotus

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Random processes constantly freeze, and my ssd has 100% active time with the read/write speed hovering around 2mbps while moving files, according to task manager. I tried doing a complete clean install of windows and it froze halfway through the installation; tried ubuntu and it worked, then tried windows again and it worked this time, but it's still slow. I'm very confused. What's even more confusing is I ran both CrystalDiskInfo and HDSentinel, the former reported 100% health while the latter reported 23%. So is my SSD dying or not? It's about 4 years old, so maybe? Oh and I tried unplugging my secondary HDD just in case and it didn't help.

My motherboard is a Z170A MSI PC Mate, cpu is an i7 6700k, gpu is nvidia geforce 970. I also ran a memtest and it passed with 0 errors; at this point I'm very much thinking it's my SSD itself, but I can't say I'm 100% certain, so I figured I would ask on here for advice first before buying a new one.

Edit: Just booted it again and tried moving files again and this time it's fine. I'm so very confused.

Edit 2: Nvm, 10 minutes later it's back to a crawl.

Edit 3: After further testing I noticed if I play a game that's installed on my HDD it doesn't really lag all that much, SSD temp gets pretty hot (62C compared to HDD's 34C or so) but overall performance remains reasonable as long as I don't do anything that involves the SSD too much. I'm starting to be pretty damn sure it's just dying.

Last edited: