Question SSD recommendation for laptop according with manufacturer and color label

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Greetings to all

For my old laptop Toshiba working with Linux Ubuntu the current hard disk based on HDD with 500GB started to fail and today was detected 320 bad sectors, yesterday was 24. Backup done. So its EOL is coming.

Therefore is mandatory buy a new one, this time based on SSD and with 1TB, What manufacturer is recommended?
Seagate, Samsung?

And the most important and the reason of this post, there is a color label/category, if my memory does not fail me, red, green and blue.
What are their difference and what is suggested to buy according with your current experience?

Thanks for your support

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
You cannot go wrong with a crucial MX500. I have one in my laptop, for extra storage. Actually, it's the second laptop, that I have had it in. I transplanted it into my current laptop, before I gave my wife, my old one.
Thanks for the reply, do you remember the color code?

I am Java/Spring Developer, and this laptop is going to use Ubuntu Desktop 22:04, perhaps it helps for other members share the best recommendation about the color

logainofhades

Titan
Red, green, and blue is a western digital thing. Most drive makers don't do that. What matters is you get a quality drive, with a Dram Cache, which the MX500 does.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $61.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 09:39 EST-0500

Reactions: Manuel Jordan