Question SSD recommendation

kisserik93

Honorable
Apr 10, 2018
Hello!

I would like to seek expert advice on SSD selection.

The SSD I want:
  • How much SSD do I need? --› 1TBű
  • SATA3 or mSata or M.2 connector --› I prefer the M.2 connector
  • What motherboard will SSD use with? --› Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • How many years warranty should the SSD have? --› I would like it to be minimum 3 or 5 years, but more is better
Which product is the most recommended?

popatim

Titan
If you write big files , content creation, video editor, you'll want a better drive though.
The 660 is a QLC drive with a large emulate SLC buffer but once you fill the buffer you drop to it's native speed. Something like a 970 Pro won't drop in speed; it can write the entire drive at full speed - if you can keep it cool.

Sep 24, 2019
Price to performance I find it difficult to beat the Intel 660P NVMe SSD (5 year warranty).

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $94.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-23 16:13 EDT-0400
please help me sorry if this is not an answer is it true that on a M2 card lenovo computer data is not recoverable i will explain shortly i dont know what to believe i am being told cant be done on a SSD no moving parts by best buy yet whats wrong with computer would not do this

USAFRet

Titan
please help me sorry if this is not an answer is it true that on a M2 card lenovo computer data is not recoverable i will explain shortly i dont know what to believe i am being told cant be done on a SSD no moving parts by best buy yet whats wrong with computer would not do this
This all depends on the particular fail mode.

All drives are suspect. SSD's can fail in different ways than an HDD, but they ALL can fail. Sometimes suddenly.

Our only guaranteed method of safeguarding your data is to set up your own comprehensive backup routine.

Reactions: Countess_C
Sep 24, 2019
not sure i am being unerstood all i want to do is recover data not sure it failed at all best buy geek squad says it has no moving parts its gone others are telling me not nec. is it true its hard or impossible to get data from M2 cards?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
You prefer the M.2 connector, so how about the 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo (3500 MB/s)? Five years warranty and 600 TBW. It's an NVMe drive. It's one of the best consumer SSD's on the market. Then there is the 860 Evo M.2 but it uses SATA despite the M.2 connector. Still a good drive, though.

The 1 TB Intel 660p starts out with 1800 MB/s but slows down after a while when you save large files. And it only has 200 TBW. I wouldn't put the operating system on one. But it's cheap.

The 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro is about as fast as the 970 Evo but has a 1200 TBW, which is good if you move files around and write to it a lot. It's expensive.

USAFRet

Titan
not sure i am being unerstood all i want to do is recover data not sure it failed at all best buy geek squad says it has no moving parts its gone others are telling me not nec. is it true its hard or impossible to get data from M2 cards?
  1. Geek Squad people are generally less than informed. I wouldn't trust them to change a lightbulb.
  2. It all depends on the particular way the SSD "failed".
  3. HDD's can fail catastrophically as well
  4. Given a good backup routine, the type of drive or how it fails is irrelevant.

Sep 24, 2019
i wwant to know how and with whom what where i can get my data off i agree about GS. i know i have to back up but i did not here i need to know how if machine does not go on with whom what where i can get the data off i think their tools are limited please help i will help with legal things speech therapy please . i am in a tight situation dont need want to be scammed is it true certain M3 cards you cant recover from this is about RECOVERY

Sep 24, 2019
let me be clearer the lenovo yoga failed saturday brought it to best buy for data recovery. they are telling me since its a M2 card there is nothing showing on their system they are trying to tell me with their limited tool use what ever is wrong with my computer CAUSED this i said cant be. they said they are sure its gone

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
let me be clearer the lenovo yoga failed saturday brought it to best buy for data recovery. they are telling me since its a M2 card there is nothing showing on their system they are trying to tell me with their limited tool use what ever is wrong with my computer CAUSED this i said cant be. they said they are sure its gone
Please start your own thread. Your questions are worth it, and the replies might help other people in the same situation. Posting in here clutters up kisserik93's thread.

TRENDING THREADS