Question SSD running 130MBs out of 500MBs Capable

Apr 29, 2019
I purchased a Kingston A400 240GB SSD. I understand this isn't the fastest but it says it runs at 500MBs but in reality im seeing 130MBs on benchmarks. I noticed when I was getting extremely long load times. Everything else says it is running above average. It is connected with a Sata 3 cable and I have tried Sata port 1 and 2.

Specs:
Ryzen 3 2200G
Viper 3000MHz DDR4
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Rosewill 500w Lepton Power Supply
Integrated Radeon 8 Vega Graphics

SSD Benchmark Attached

2ytsphc.png

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019
So weird guys.. I replaced my Viper ddr4 8 GB 3000 MHz with Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3200Mhz 16GB and now it says its performing correctly in benchmarks.... makes no sense to me?

Perhaps background tasks (AV, online storage, etc) were limiting basic Windows performance due to minimal RAM, although I'd not expect poor storage performance just because of only 8 GB of RAM.... (Odd!) (Certainly, if you were running only a single 8 GB stick, your RAM bandwidth would have been cut in half vs. a pair of 8 GB sticks in dual channel mode..)

Apr 29, 2019
Ya this build has really thrown me off... I mean I do have them in Dimms a2 and b2 so maybe I should switch to a1 and b1 I guess I figured that would not effect it.

It's almost impossible to test a bootable drive, because it's always doing stuff in the background, such as virus scanning or MS searching.
All of these background tasks slow your SSD down more than you may think, but not as much as it would if it was a HDD.
Make sure your firmware is upto date as well, because I think there was an issue with them a while back.