Question SSD Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 and ASRock H170 Pro4S

KRZ

Oct 17, 2019
Hello, I've recently bought the Sabrent Rocket SSD, installed it on my H170 PRO4S in the "ULTRA M.2" slot, then rebooted the PC and I got a black screen. As soon as I removed the ssd from the mobo and restarted the PC worked just fine, what's up? Am I missing something?
Thanks

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Did you install it correctly? There should be a spacer between the bottom of the M.2 drive and the PCB of the motherboard. If you just screwed the drive down without the spacer the M.2 drive could be making contact with the PCB of the motherboard causing a short.

Also using that M.2 slot disables SATA ports 0 and 1 so if you have any SATA drives plugged into 0 or 1 you need to use a different SATA slot.

push-down-ssd-m2-socket-flush-standoff-1280x853.jpg

KRZ

Oct 17, 2019
Did you install it correctly? There should be a spacer between the bottom of the M.2 drive and the PCB of the motherboard. If you just screwed the drive down without the spacer the M.2 drive could be making contact with the PCB of the motherboard causing a short.

push-down-ssd-m2-socket-flush-standoff-1280x853.jpg
yep there is a spacer and I screwed the SSD on it so there is no way it touches the mobo.. I also tried to run it without screwing the drive to check if something was making contact but nothing worked

KRZ

Oct 17, 2019
bump I've updated bios as someone suggested somewhere else but still it does not work, when I plug it in and turn on the computer I get black screen, I unplug it and the pc works fine.. starting to think the SSD is broken (or the ultra m.2 port on my mobo?)