SSD sale on newegg, need advice!

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Sooo i just got an e-mail from newegg and these SSD's are on sale for less than 1 dollar per GB, problem is they have no reviews and i would like your guys opinion on these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 227738-L0A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 27739-L01C

Also, would it be a better idea to get two of the 60gb's for raid, or just get the 120?

I am going to be using the SSD (or SSD's) for windows 7, SWTOR and a few steam games.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Could someone tech savvy please reply! lol

I know nothing about SSD's other than i want one. I have no idea if the indillinx is a good controller, nor do i know what a controller is!

If these are "decent" i would like to grab one (or two if raid is a better idea) before they sell out, as this is the cheapest i have seen SSD's sell for in like a year.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Please stop posting back to just keep moving it up (it's a bit ridiculous to do that when the post has only been up an hour or so)

If you google the OCZ vertex plus drives, you get some decent reviews (anandtech being one of them) about those drives.

They look OK...based on Indilinux (vs Sandforce of some of the other Vertex drives), so they won't perform as well, but are still faster than mechanical drives.

Some people have had issues with OCZ, but I never have.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Please stop posting back to just keep moving it up (it's a bit ridiculous to do that when the post has only been up an hour or so)

Deals like these sell out within minutes, and being the SSD noob i am i rely on ****** like you for advice.

That was mean, sorry lol.

I think i am going to buy the 120gb, it seems i cannot use trim if i bought 2 60gb's for raid.

tecmo34

Administrator
These are 1st gen SSD from OCZ. I know they are good price and all but I'm not sure I would make a jump on them. I would look at least a 2nd gen SSD but that is just me... IMO.

Will you see an improvement of a mechanical drive... Yes... are they the best drives out.. No.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

The issue wasn't with you asking for help, but that you continued to post and seemed to get frustrated by there being no response between fifteen minutes and an hour.

The other minor issue was that I found a review from a reputable site (anandtech) with a simple search...it only took me a few minutes to read the article after that.

I understand the excitement and the fear of these selling out...just pointing out that by posting that way and not looking for reviews first will more than likely not help your cause in the forums - we like to help, but we generally prefer if you've made some effort too.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I know I'm far less likely to be cooperative if someone insults me for trying to make as suggestion.

beenthere

Distinguished
I don't think you're missing out on any great deal on SSDs here... First you need to decide what size SSD you need or can afford. Then you need to know if your PC has SATA II or SATA III ports. Then you need to decide if reliability and compatibility are important to you as many of the SSDs from OCZ, Corsair, Crucial and Intel have all had issues.

If you're OK with the SSD issues, then you can select an SSD based on size, SATA port and price as the performance is very similar at the various price points. If you want detailed SSD performance info. then read the SSD reviews at the link below.

http://www.storagereview.com/reviews

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'll agree with beenthere...sound advice. More times than not you need to decide what fits for you...size, speed, etc.

Once you have those decisions in place, you have already narrowed your selections and can compare only a few items instead of the entire spectrum.