Question SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus & ASUS Z170-DELUXE

Aug 28, 2019
Hello guys!

I have an ASUS Z170-DELUXE motherboard that I got back in 2016. I remember that I specifically wanted a board with an M.2 slot.

Now it's time to finally fill that slot with a SSD. I'm thinking of buying the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1TB).

Since with any big purchase I want to check everything ...

Will that SSD work on my motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/

This is a link with my motherboard.

How is this going to work? I just plugin in the SSD into that M.2 slot? Is there anything else I have to do?

I also have a:

INTEL SSD 256gb (I have Windows on that)
1 TB HDD
6 TB HDD
1.5 TB HDD (External)
1x DVDRW
1x External Rack (Case has a rack where I can plug in another HDD)

Is this setup going to cause any problems with the new M.2 SSD?

Thank you all!

<3

yes your motherboard fully supports nvme m.2 ssd like the 970 evo plus
just use the empty m.2 slot and you'll be fine
well and of course use Samsung magician tool to clone the drive it will be replacing

Skylake based motherboards have the standard 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU, and the z170 chipset has 26 HSIO (HIgh Speed I/O) PCIe 3.0 lanes that are allocated for I/O ports so your setup will be totally fine
except why dvdrw in 2019? :D

Aug 28, 2019
yes your motherboard fully supports nvme m.2 ssd like the 970 evo plus
just use the empty m.2 slot and you'll be fine
well and of course use Samsung magician tool to clone the drive it will be replacing

It woun't replace any drive. I will try to phase out the older 1TB HDD... but not yet. So will I have any problems having so many drives installed? :D

It woun't replace any drive. I will try to phase out the older 1TB HDD... but not yet. So will I have any problems having so many drives installed? :D
Skylake based motherboards have the standard 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU, and the z170 chipset has 26 HSIO (HIgh Speed I/O) PCIe 3.0 lanes that are allocated for I/O ports so your setup will be totally fine

Aug 28, 2019

Old habbit die hard ... but I do plan to "revisit" and document all my old pirate CD's .. .and make videos about them :D