[SOLVED] SSD SATA Data Cable Question

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I recently wiped my computer clean to start fresh. I performed the Secure Erase process on my 1TB Samsung SSD 850 Evo by disconnecting and reconnecting the SATA data and power cables as instructed in the Samsung Magician Boot Software. When I reconnected both cables and checked that they were properly connected, I noticed that the data cable wiggled a little bit. For safety reasons, I shut down my computer to check over that cable. As a cautious person when it comes to computer hardware, I gave the cable a little pull to see if the plug still stayed in the port. It did not come loose from being gently pulled. I went ahead and proceeded to reinstall Windows 10. So far, I have not encountered any problems with Windows and carried out diagnostic procedures on both Windows and the hard drives using Windows Defender, Performance Monitor, System File Checker, Deployment Image Servicing and Management, Samsung Magician, and HDDScan and they all detected no problems.

My questions are:
  1. Should I be good with the existing SATA data cable connected to my SSD or should I replace the cable?
  2. If I were to replace the cable, would I have to reinstall Windows or would it be just a simple power down the PC, switch the cable, power up the PC, and continue my business as usual?

Thanks.

Solution
Thank you for the reply. Even though you are saying that the loose cable is not an issue, should I still try a different cable on the SSD? If yes, and I encounter a similar looseness in the connection, should I consider a replacement SSD in the near future?

Don't worry about it, a bit of wiggle is fine, if it's working, it's working, let it be. In fact wiggling it to test it may do more damage than just letting it sit there connected since you would be putting pressure on the connector in a way it's not designed to handle in large amounts.

If you still want to swap a cable to keep your brain still about this, you can get one with a metal retention clip, those tend to have a tighter fit...

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I am so far not receiving any error messages. I would assume that if it were the port on the SSD itself that my system would be malfunctioning. Are you saying that I may be facing a possible hardware failure on my SSD?

I am so far not receiving any error messages. I would assume that if it were the port on the SSD itself that my system would be malfunctioning. Are you saying that I may be facing a possible hardware failure on my SSD?

Don't see any sign of failure, a cable that moves a bit is not an issue. There is no need to do a secure erase on the drive during a new Windows setup, just delete the partition and have the setup create a new one. A loose cable would not require any type of file system and drive check run, it's like having a mechanic run a full engine diagnostic and changing coolant if you found one of your tires was low on air.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Don't see any sign of failure, a cable that moves a bit is not an issue. There is no need to do a secure erase on the drive during a new Windows setup, just delete the partition and have the setup create a new one. A loose cable would not require any type of file system and drive check run, it's like having a mechanic run a full engine diagnostic and changing coolant if you found one of your tires was low on air.
Thank you for the reply. Even though you are saying that the loose cable is not an issue, should I still try a different cable on the SSD? If yes, and I encounter a similar looseness in the connection, should I consider a replacement SSD in the near future?

Ferimer

Distinguished
Is the cable wiggling at the base of the motherboard or the SSD? That part isn't very clear. Like hang said its not a major issue you wouldnt need to jump through any hoops with a Cable wiggle as that is Hardware related and not Software related. In other words testing a new cable wouldnt hurt and it wouldnt erase anything

Don't worry about it, a bit of wiggle is fine, if it's working, it's working, let it be. In fact wiggling it to test it may do more damage than just letting it sit there connected since you would be putting pressure on the connector in a way it's not designed to handle in large amounts.

If you still want to swap a cable to keep your brain still about this, you can get one with a metal retention clip, those tend to have a tighter fit https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...d-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=3015394011

Solution