SSD sata data connection

mindistortionz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I have a Corsair force 3 60 gb SSD . While rearranging some cables and cleaning my pc I screwed up and the sata cable on SSD came off along with the plastic part that clips it on good.

now all the pins on the drive are fine and I can boot up my pc. however the sata cable barely holds on now, my question is can I get this part fixed and am I in any danger of messing up the drive with it not locked on right

Solution
No sata is hot swap not that anyone does but it coming unplugged durring use will not hurt anything. I would suggest just taping it on or get a warrenty replacement... If you want more specific help please take a picture and post so we can see exactly what happened.

Thent
No sata is hot swap not that anyone does but it coming unplugged durring use will not hurt anything. I would suggest just taping it on or get a warrenty replacement... If you want more specific help please take a picture and post so we can see exactly what happened.

Thent

Solution
While I would not use duct tape, using any non/low residue tape (electrical tape, frog tape, etc) will not hurt anything, and may keep the drive in place. But first I would try for an RMA claiming that it was broken upon receipt (they may not believe you... but it is worth a shot). Normal SATA cables are 'tear away' and will not damage the SSD connector if yanked out of place. This is why I do not like using 'locking' SATA cables. It is rare, but I know i am a klutz and would damage my equipment this way if I did use them.

mindistortionz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
ok thanks y'all for all the help. yeah I bought the drive maybe 3 months back, so I will see about RMA.
otherwise I figured tape would be ok but wanted to be sure on it.
thanks again