SSD SATA3 Raid 0 - Did I miss something?

bloodcraze

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I'm still getting stuff planned for the new computer build and ive come to find some pretty interesting information. I was going to setup a SSD Raid 0 array with 2 or 3 drives with some Corsair Force GT or Force 3 drives however I am starting to see a lot of people say that this is pointless.... Did I miss something ? I wouldn't think its pointless because SATA3 can handle the speed obviously , just wondering why more people are not doing this ?

http://communities.intel.com/thread/23483

Clarification: you will not get TRIM. TRIM at this time does not work on RAID sets. You will, however, benefit from the SSD's internal garbage collection algorithms. TRIM is something the OS submits to the disk telling it "I'm no longer using these LBAs" (e.g. a deleted file, a file overwrite/re-write, etc.); GC is something that's done internally by the SSD itself, whenever it needs to. There's nothing administrative for you to do with GC -- it "just works".

Furthermore: motherboards and chipsets have nothing to do with TRIM support. TRIM is a Data Management command supported by the drive (SSD) itself. The chipset/motherboard has nothing to do with TRIM support.

Getting 1 ssd for the programs is a very good idea. It is said its like getting a big monitor. Once you do, you never consider going back.

Personally im going to get an ssd for my desktop as os, but im waiting for my hdd to fail (have 2 terabytes of stuff that i dont want to lose :D).

bloodcraze

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006

Ive read them but it seems like the firmware upgrade took care of most issues. OCZ drives have the same issues pretty much. What other one would you recommend ? I've been looking at the Crucial M4 if I buy a 240gig. Maybe 2 120gig Patriot Pyros.

tomatthe

Distinguished
I've only used two SSD drives in desktops, one the force 3 which I had a horrible exp with as did lots of others, right now i'm using a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233155

which speedwise isn't as nice, but so far has been reliable. I've had ssds in laptops for a few different machines, but they were all there from the factory. The firmware update definitely did not solve all issues, and I would not recommend risking the force 3 drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts