Question SSD - SATAvs PCIE

redbioniclem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Does having a SATA SSD over a PCIe 4.0 slow down my PC for gaming, rendering, and editing?

I am planning to upgrade my PC with a mid-high build (3070, Rog Strix b550, ryzen 7 5700x, 32ram 3600mhz, etc.) and I currently have a Samsung SATA III 6.0Gb/s 2 TB drive. However, people keep telling me to buy a PCIe 4.0 and I would have to wait about 3 or 4 months for it.

In the meantime I will be using the 2TB SATA I already have, will it slow down my other components?

Thanks for the help!

The SATA SSD is generally slower at reading and writing. Those tasks will take longer than with NVMe.

Once a program is running and all the data is in RAM. There won't be a difference. What that means is for something like gaming. Waiting for an area to load will take longer but FPS won't be affected once the area has finished loading and you are playing.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

redbioniclem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
The SATA SSD is generally slower at reading and writing. Those tasks will take longer than with NVMe.

Once a program is running and all the data is in RAM. There won't be a difference. What that means is for something like gaming. Waiting for an area to load will take longer but FPS won't be affected once the area has finished loading and you are playing.

Oh ok, I understand now, thank you!
I guess I'll be fine with the SATA for a while.

Does having a SATA SSD over a PCIe 4.0 slow down my PC for gaming, rendering, and editing?

I am planning to upgrade my PC with a mid-high build (3070, Rog Strix b550, ryzen 7 5700x, 32ram 3600mhz, etc.) and I currently have a Samsung SATA III 6.0Gb/s 2 TB drive. However, people keep telling me to buy a PCIe 4.0 and I would have to wait about 3 or 4 months for it.

In the meantime I will be using the 2TB SATA I already have, will it slow down my other components?

Thanks for the help!

sata ssd should be fine for older titles.

what i have found from my own experiance

is newer open world titles will have less pop in with a pci 3.0 nvme or pci 4.0 nvme

how i have my storage set up is old games

on the sata 2tb drive

new games on my nvme 3.0 drive

you will see quicker load times and like i said above less pop in

Thank you! I will be upgrading it to a pcie 4.0 as soon as I can. for now ill use the SATA.

Which PCIe 4.0 makes a big difference. Most are junk. That slow way down once their cache fills or can't handle a lot of random read/write very well. Stick with Samsung preferably the 980 Pro.

Also a good PCIe 3.0 SSD will generally be better under heavy usage than a junk PCIe 4.0 model. I'd take a 970 Evo or 970 Evo Plus over a lot of PCIe 4.0 models. As they are using better NAND and controllers.