SSD secure erasing useful when reinstalling Windows?

OrangeTheMaster

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I'm planning on formating my PC and i want to know if it's a good idea to do a secure erase on my SSD (using Samsung Magician Software) before reinstalling windows in it. I've heard conflicting opinions about whether or not this has a performance increase, and i would like a straightforward answer. The SSD is a Samsung 840 EVO 256GB that i've been using for at least 2 years without any kind of formatting.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Performing a secure erase is the preferred method of erasing all data on a solid state drive and for preparing the ssd for a fresh clean install of the operating system. A secure erase makes the ssd "like new".

You mentioned formatting the ssd. There is no requirement to format a bootable ssd prior to a fresh clean install of the operating system. Microsoft Windows will prepare the ssd during the installation process. In addition, partitioning an ssd is neither required nor recommended. One large partition is fine. A fresh clean install of Windows will take care of creating one large partition too.

Performing a fresh clean install may or may not improve overall performance. There are too many factors and variables to consider. It...
a secure erase is the best way to erase a ssd to new. Windows format is not a true format because of how SSD cache and write data. windows full formatting will actually cause more writing wear on the ssd in the end then using secure erase. (windows full formatting will write zeros to the whole drive but then after that write is complete and the area is marked empty the ssd will erase that block again even though its all zeros...a lot more wear).

as to non specifics Samsung in non specific ways has said that secure erase will set all the ssd to that new condition--no one I have seen has shown this to be true but just to eliminate unessary writing to the drive don't use windows full format ever on a ssd, windows quick format if you have to but don't full format it.

Performing a secure erase is the preferred method of erasing all data on a solid state drive and for preparing the ssd for a fresh clean install of the operating system. A secure erase makes the ssd "like new".

You mentioned formatting the ssd. There is no requirement to format a bootable ssd prior to a fresh clean install of the operating system. Microsoft Windows will prepare the ssd during the installation process. In addition, partitioning an ssd is neither required nor recommended. One large partition is fine. A fresh clean install of Windows will take care of creating one large partition too.

Performing a fresh clean install may or may not improve overall performance. There are too many factors and variables to consider. It probably will not affect ssd performance.

Solution
maxwellmelon - During a secure erase the “ATA Secure Erase” command instructs the ssd to flush all stored electrons, forcing the drive to “forget” all stored data. The command essentially resets all data blocks. The command causes the SSD to apply a small voltage spike to all available NAND simultaneously, resetting every available block of space in one quick operation. The process is completely different from processes used for hard disk drives.