SSD sequential read/write differences: do they matter???

Dr Orgo

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I'm trying to figure out when really high sequential read/write speeds for an SSD actually make a difference in real world usage.

I know that 4K random read/write speeds are an important consideration for SSD performance because it allows for faster boot times and program launch times. That makes sense to me. Booting the OS requires reading lots of small files and loading them into RAM (I think).

But when do the sequential read/write speeds matter? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how low of sequential read/write speed can I have on an SSD to still not have the SSD bottleneck common use cases? For example, I have a 4.0 GB ISO file on my SSD. If I want to transfer that to my Patriot Supersonic 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive, what will bottleneck the performance?

What other use case, besides transferring large files to external storage, would benefit from very fast sequential read/write performance? Would loading game textures into RAM be an example?

Let me know what you think, experts!

Solution
i dont think it'll botteneck anything. loading games into RAM would be faster but i mean u wouldn't notice a difference in gaming really.
other uses would be say u have that iso with winrar, if u were to extract the iso, the 4gb would be a matter of seconds to be extracted rather than a minute or two with a hard drive. any ssd is good for "common use cases"
the bottleneck of ur usb would be the usb port not being able to transfer fast enough to the usb, but that is irrelevant to a ssd.

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i dont think it'll botteneck anything. loading games into RAM would be faster but i mean u wouldn't notice a difference in gaming really.
other uses would be say u have that iso with winrar, if u were to extract the iso, the 4gb would be a matter of seconds to be extracted rather than a minute or two with a hard drive. any ssd is good for "common use cases"
the bottleneck of ur usb would be the usb port not being able to transfer fast enough to the usb, but that is irrelevant to a ssd.

Solution