SSD Setting Question 32-bit Transfers

Allen_1

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I recently purchased a used macbook SSD to use as a Windows OS Boot drive. I cloned the old drive using easUS and it wouldn't boot. I disabled and enabled a bunch things in Bios, but disabled 32-bit tranfers in the drive settings and the drive boots. I returned everything back to the default settings and disabled just 32 bit transfers to be sure. I have no idea why it works with it disabled. Will the drive be any slower with 32-bit transfers disabled? Does this point to some other cause that is an easy fix that will not impede the performance? The computer seems faster now, but not blindingly so.

Toshiba THNSNC128GBSJ SATA 128GB SSD HDD 3.0Gb/s MLC Hard Disk Solid State
Drive For Apple 655-1652B Macbook Laptop

Lenovo Thinkcentre A61-9141 Running Windows 10

32-bit transfers were only relevant to IDE hard drives. IDE transferred data through a bundle of wires, each wire carrying one bit. Normally it was sent 16 bits at a time, but some motherboards and drives could combine two 16-bit data packets to create a 32-bit data packet, which would thus transfer 2x as quickly.

It has no relevance to SATA, which is serial (it sends one bit at a time, just very quickly). Your computers use SATA drives so I'm surprised your BIOS even has this setting, and even more surprised that it can cause a SATA drive to not be bootable. Just disable it if that's what you need to get it to work. The only downside will be if you have an IDE drive in the system, data transfers will be a bit slower.

Allen_1

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

No, everything is SATA, even the DVD-RW drive.

TRENDING THREADS