[SOLVED] SSD Setup

Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I want to install brand new ssd in my pc that already has a hdd, but I have a question.

If i do a clean install of OS on ssd and delete it from my hdd (if that is possible, I have never done this before) will the remaining data on hdd be recognizable by ssd?

Thank You in advance for help.

Solution
What is your new ssd?
If it is as large as your old HDD, you could probably clone your current HDD to the new ssd and simply swap boot priority. Most ssd makers have such a utility.
I have used the samsung utility many times with no problems.
When done, you can repurpose your HDD as you wish. External backup is a good use if you have not yet done so.

If you go the route of a clean new install on the ssd, disconnect your old hard drive from the pc.
If you do not, windows will place a hidden recovery partition on the hdd, making it most difficult to ever run without the hdd connected.

When done, data folders like photos and videos will be accessible to you.
Apps which used the registry will need to be reinstalled.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You cannot remove just the OS from the HDD, no.

You can clean install to the SSD (make sure you disconnect the HDD while you do this, just incase).
Once complete, ensure the SSD is set to boot priority #1 and you could reconnect the HDD to use as mass storage.

Now, the 'old' OS will still be there, just not in use..... but you can still access all the data contained within.

A better route, depending on the quantity of data you have on the HDD would be:
  1. Clean install OS to SSD.
  2. Reconnect HDD and migrate all bulk data you want to keep to a folder on the HDD (assuming enough free space).
  3. Format the HDD so it's now empty and one single volume.
  4. Migrate the bulk data back from the SSD to the (now empty) HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I want to install brand new ssd in my pc that already has a hdd, but I have a question.

If i do a clean install of OS on ssd and delete it from my hdd (if that is possible, I have never done this before) will the remaining data on hdd be recognizable by ssd?

Thank You in advance for help.
Depends on what you mean by "data".

Your personal files, sure. With restrictions.
Applications? No.

There are ways to get where you want to be, but probably not as you think.

What OS?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive?
What size/make/model SSD are you considering?
What are the rest of the parts in this system?

Jan 10, 2020
You cannot remove just the OS from the HDD, no.

You can clean install to the SSD (make sure you disconnect the HDD while you do this, just incase).
Once complete, ensure the SSD is set to boot priority #1 and you could reconnect the HDD to use as mass storage.

Now, the 'old' OS will still be there, just not in use..... but you can still access all the data contained within.

A better route, depending on the quantity of data you have on the HDD would be:
  1. Clean install OS to SSD.
  2. Reconnect HDD and migrate all bulk data you want to keep to a folder on the HDD (assuming enough free space).
  3. Format the HDD so it's now empty and one single volume.
  4. Migrate the bulk data back from the SSD to the (now empty) HDD.

This was basically what I wanted to do but I wasn't sure if it was possible. Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
Are my photos and videos safe? that's all I'm concerned about. Applications and all that I can re-download later that's not an issue
Yes, but permissions may be a (small) issue.
If those files live under the current "Libraries" - Documents/Videos/Pictures....those are tied to the old user.
A new OS will be a different user. Yes, even if you use the same username as before. NTFS sees it as a different user.

Jan 10, 2020
Yes, but permissions may be a (small) issue.
If those files live under the current "Libraries" - Documents/Videos/Pictures....those are tied to the old user.
A new OS will be a different user. Yes, even if you use the same username as before. NTFS sees it as a different user.

The pictures were dumped on desktop in a folder and were not moved since, I suspect the "Desktop" doesn't fall under those Libraries?

What is your new ssd?
If it is as large as your old HDD, you could probably clone your current HDD to the new ssd and simply swap boot priority. Most ssd makers have such a utility.
I have used the samsung utility many times with no problems.
When done, you can repurpose your HDD as you wish. External backup is a good use if you have not yet done so.

If you go the route of a clean new install on the ssd, disconnect your old hard drive from the pc.
If you do not, windows will place a hidden recovery partition on the hdd, making it most difficult to ever run without the hdd connected.

When done, data folders like photos and videos will be accessible to you.
Apps which used the registry will need to be reinstalled.

Solution