[SOLVED] SSD Setup

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
So I'm planning on factory resetting my entire system this weekend to start over fresh and clean all my drives.

In my current build I have:
  • Samsung 128 GB SSD SATA 840 Pro (Currently has Windows installed on it) that reads at about 550 MB/s
  • Samsung 1 TB SSD NVME 970 EVO Plus (for some reason is only reading at 1766 MB/s?)
- Samsung 500 GB SSD 850 EVO (used for games)
And I'm going to be installing another Samsung 1 TB 860 EVO SSD SATA for more games.
- I also have another 3 TB HDD for random storage, but that's besides the point.

Other info is I have an i7- 8700k in an ASUS Maximus Hero X mobo

I was thinking of reinstalling windows on my NVME drive for possible faster bootups and more responsive programs like OBS, and just getting rid of the 128 GB 840 SSD altogether. So my question is this:
Is there any real benefit of putting windows on my NVME over keeping it on my 840 Pro? Or will I not notice any difference? I know typically people see a 1 second faster boot up time, but I feel like since my 840 Pro is getting kind of old, maybe I'll notice more of a difference in boot time and responsiveness in windows.

Also, any idea why my NVME drive is reading like half the speed? Does it even matter?

Solution
So I'm planning on factory resetting my entire system this weekend to start over fresh and clean all my drives.

• Samsung 128 GB SSD SATA 840 Pro (Currently has Windows installed on it) that reads at about 550 MB/s
  • Samsung 1 TB SSD NVME 970 EVO Plus (for some reason is only reading at 1766 MB/s?)
And I'm going to be installing another Samsung 1 TB 860 EVO SSD SATA for more games.
- I also have another 3 TB HDD for random storage, but that's besides the point.

I was thinking of reinstalling windows on my NVME drive for possible faster bootups...

I was thinking of reinstalling windows on my NVME drive for possible faster bootups and more responsive programs like OBS, and just getting rid of the 128 GB 840 SSD altogether. So my question is this:
Is there any real benefit of putting windows on my NVME over keeping it on my 840 Pro? Or will I not notice any difference? I know typically people see a 1 second faster boot up time, but I feel like since my 840 Pro is getting kind of old, maybe I'll notice more of a difference in boot time and responsiveness in windows.

Also, any idea why my NVME drive is reading like half the speed? Does it even matter?
NVME is so much faster so yes it's worth to have OS and most important programs on it. It's not so much for faster BOOT and response but you get lower load on whole system.

Solution