Question SSD shorting out

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
I had a laptop fall and break, when I took the SSD to the computer place to backup my info they said everytime they plug it in it shorts out.
So they claim they cant get the info off it (its a Western Digital). How can I A) Fix it, B) find the problem spot or C) find a place that can repair it and get my info off the SSD ?

Please help, this has so much important information im pulling my hair out.

-Walt

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Can you upload a photo of both sides of the PCB?

I suspect that there is a TVS diode or e-fuse which is shorting the +5V supply. In many cases there is an easy DIY fix.

Its still at the place I took it to until they open monday (yeah a place not open on weekends... scratches my head). I will post a pic on Monday ASAP. I cant believe this is happening i thought SSD i wouldnt worry like a regular HDD is i dropped my laptop, but obviously i was wrong. Def faster though lol

Thank you for responding :)

USAFRet

Titan
Please help, this has so much important information im pulling my hair out.
Whether you get the data of it or not, please take this as a wakeup call to institute a comprehensive backup routine.

A failed device should never result in lost data. Ever.

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Iv ebeen busy, im going to get HD back and take pics. But in honesty if anyone can help or even if i could send it ya wise folks i could get music i lost, pics etc that mean a lot. Ive been working on acoustic album and its saved there for 8 years.

Its a SSD theres gotta be a way.

Im praying

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Can you send me an email address ? to put a link up i need a web addy and I do not post pics on any sites or upload etc. I dont mind sending you the pics (its private).

Yanks very much, once you see the pics i can show ya a few things i spotted.

Thank you

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Well theres more to it than that. I should just send ya pics.
The plastic part that has the plug ins, had broken pins all over and broke off. So i need to get a new plastic output thang and resolder all the pins onto the board and im almost positive thats what it is. But i suck with soldering.

Anyone wanna make some money and see if they can fix this for me and ill pay ? Has WAYYYYYY too much info for me to lose.

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
IMG-1172.jpg

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
As you see in pic one the leads all were detached, Pic #2 from above you cant see it. I flexed it a tiny bit to see if the pins were the issue and they were. Beyond repair with out a new part to solder on and as i said I suck at this stuff.

It looks like many of the pads have been ripped off the PCB. The SATA Tx/Rx signals will need to be attached with fly wires. The power pins are a little easier, as only the 5V and Ground pins need to be connected.

That said, your tech would need to test for shorts.

You could ask at eevblog.com or badcaps.net. Lots of component level techs hang out there.

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Civility is a requirement for all.
^ well that is as close to finding a part similar as ive seen and i thought using an example may help. I know a lot about computers, but not when its stuff I cant see (blind over here) like this. If your so smart then tell what is the plastic part in the picture thats no longer connected to the PCB is then ? Just saying if your gonna frusterate me anymore i mind as well ask what you know and why ya gotta rub it in when im trying my best to explain whats wrong, with pics and doing homework find parts close to what im looking for etc. This has been hell for me and you could do a nice dial back and change being a prick.

Instead of wasting my time with your post why dont ya help out and maybe some magic will happen. Until then i can only say your going out of your way to be a dick.

^ by the way how old are you ? I bet i am twice your age with knowledge you will never comprehend. Just because im blind and had an accident with a computer and didnt "back up" my info as you had to point out with that picture doesnt give ya the authority to be as ahole. Just ignore this thread as you have brought nothing to the table to help.

Scooby9261

Prominent
Jan 31, 2020
Oh and I wasnt recommending that part, I was stating the part looks close to this.

And its called a SSD drive Transfer Board. So thanks for your little to no help other then making someone feel bad they didnt back up their HD etc and how I should leave it to the authorities... Dont be a dick.

Now back to seeing what we can try figuring out ;-)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
^ well that is as close to finding a part similar as ive seen and i thought using an example may help. I know a lot about computers, but not when its stuff I cant see (blind over here) like this. If your so smart then tell what is the plastic part in the picture thats no longer connected to the PCB is then ? Just saying if your gonna frusterate me anymore i mind as well ask what you know and why ya gotta rub it in when im trying my best to explain whats wrong, with pics and doing homework find parts close to what im looking for etc. This has been hell for me and you could do a nice dial back and change being a prick.

Instead of wasting my time with your post why dont ya help out and maybe some magic will happen. Until then i can only say your going out of your way to be a dick.

^ by the way how old are you ? I bet i am twice your age with knowledge you will never comprehend. Just because im blind and had an accident with a computer and didnt "back up" my info as you had to point out with that picture doesnt give ya the authority to be as ahole. Just ignore this thread as you have brought nothing to the table to help.
Civility please. Attacking other members who are offering sound advice is not acceptable. Take it or leave it.