[SOLVED] SSD showing up in BIOS and Rescue Media but not in Windows 10

TraceL

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hello. I’ve recently upgraded to Windows 10 (very recently, just today. Clean install) and wanted to clone my boot drive, which is on an HDD, to an SSD. The SSD is Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB.

When i first plugged it in it got detected by BIOS. Which was a good sign. However it did not get detected in Windows 10. I looked up on the internet and most people said it’s a dead ssd. However i booted with Macrium Reflect Rescue Media and it got detected. It can also read the SSD (how many GBs is used and partitions).

Does anyone know how to get windows to detect my ssd?

Solution
I’m back and i found a solution.

Apparently Windows 10 can’t detect storages that was in Windows 7 and not formatted and unallocated.

My SSD was used in my old OS and i did not format them nor unallocate them. I fixed this by booting into Windows 10 USB installer boot and manually deleting the SSD.

I rebooted into windows and it popped up in disk management, unallocated. Sorry for wasting your time.

TraceL

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?

If I'm understanding it right -
you installed windows on HDD and​
now you want to clone HDD to SSD?​
Why didn't you install on SSD?
Exactly, why didn't he just install it on the SSD and done, the windows might be corrupt leading to the device not being detected or something.

Because i was upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool. I decided to keep nothing (delete all files and reset all settings. On top of that i used the “Reset my PC” feature because there were a lot of leftovers). There was no option to install windows 10 on another drive.

And i’m really sorry but you have to wait for the screenshot since I’m on Macrium Reflect Rescue Media running chkdsk.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Then just replay when you get the picture, and also you could've used the clean disk function that is found in the properties in the disk, it deletes leftover windows files that is not used anymore, updates that is not used anymore and so, did that yesterday cleaned around 10gb from my ssd.

Because i was upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool. I decided to keep nothing (delete all files and reset all settings. On top of that i used the “Reset my PC” feature because there were a lot of leftovers). There was no option to install windows 10 on another drive.
Simply should have booted from windows installation media and installed onto SSD (with HDD disconnected).
No point in running upgrade, if you don't want to keep anything.

TraceL

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I’m back and i found a solution.

Apparently Windows 10 can’t detect storages that was in Windows 7 and not formatted and unallocated.

My SSD was used in my old OS and i did not format them nor unallocate them. I fixed this by booting into Windows 10 USB installer boot and manually deleting the SSD.

I rebooted into windows and it popped up in disk management, unallocated. Sorry for wasting your time.

Solution