Question SSD shown in BIOS, but nowhere else ?

Jun 7, 2022
I've just rebuilt my computer from scratch, but this is a problem that has persisted from the previous build.

I have an SSD installed in my computer, but it just refuses to show up in Disk Management. It's in BIOS, but I can't do anything with it from BIOS (as far as I know). I'm kind of tearing out my hair here trying to figure out why I can't even SEE the drive on my system, but it's clearly visible in BIOS. The SSD in question is a Crucial brand 1TB drive, but I've had this exact problem with Corsair drives on my old build.

FWIW, I'm running an ASRock Z970 Pro4 as my motherboard.

Jun 7, 2022
RAID is disabled, I'm not sure what AHCI means.

The drive does show up in Device Manager as "CT1000BX500SSD1", which is also how it shows up in the BIOS.

I reckon I need to format it to make it usable, but I don't know how to do that if it won't show up in Disk Management

Also, I'm dumb and misremembered the model of the motherboard. It's a Z390 Pro 4.

dwd999

Honorable
RAID is disabled, I'm not sure what AHCI means.

The drive does show up in Device Manager as "CT1000BX500SSD1", which is also how it shows up in the BIOS.

I reckon I need to format it to make it usable, but I don't know how to do that if it won't show up in Disk Management

Also, I'm dumb and misremembered the model of the motherboard. It's a Z390 Pro 4.
Try using a real disk management tool like Gparted or Minitool Partition Wizard. If they see the drive, make sure it has a GPT partition identifier, then you should be able to create an NTFS partition and format it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS