[SOLVED] ssd slow transfer rate

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
this is my first time getting an ssd
looking into smart details it says 0 power on time so its literally new,
however the transfer rate from hdd to ssd is really slow 50mb to kbs..

my specs
Intel Core i7 3770
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASRock H61M-DGS
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050

im not really sure what im doing wrong..

win10 is install on ahci mode
all sata drives are set to HOTPLUG.
however write speed / readspeed of ssd is goes upto 300mb which is nice but i was hoping to utilize its full potential

Solution
And, investigating....

"4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors "

Your motherboard only has SATA II ports.
3Gbs.

Your SSD will never ever reach its actual potential. Ever.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
game folders is what im trying to copy/transfer... i didnt know its a thing. what i dont understand is why it goes from 50mb down to even 100kbs.. and is there a way to like force my ssd to run at full speed as per advertised? installing the game only last like 5 mins while copying/transfering a same size game last for 15-20min

USAFRet

Titan
game folders is what im trying to copy/transfer... i didnt know its a thing. what i dont understand is why it goes from 50mb down to even 100kbs.. and is there a way to like force my ssd to run at full speed as per advertised? installing the game only last like 5 mins while copying/transfering a same size game last for 15-20min
'game folders' contain TONS of little tiny files.
That WILL be slow.

Copying to/from always depends on the performance of the slowest device in the chain. You cannot make the SSD read/write faster than the HDD can do.

USAFRet

Titan
so if I understand correctly this is a NORMAL scenario right? my motherboard say 3gbs sata / whilst the ssd is 6gb is that ok?
Your motherboard may have both SATA II (3Gbs) and SATA III (6Gbps).
What is your SSD plugged into?

However....again, speed depends on the performance of the slowest device in the chain.

Firehose and garden hose.
While your SSD may be capable of firehose level of water, your HDD is only capable of garden hose flow rate.

Reactions: r_jackdaw

USAFRet

Titan
And, investigating....

"4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors "

Your motherboard only has SATA II ports.
3Gbs.

Your SSD will never ever reach its actual potential. Ever.

Reactions: r_jackdaw
Solution

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
so if i want to use my ssd full speed i need a motherborard that has sata6 or do i need to find like sata2 6 or sata 3 6 ? i think most ryzen 2nd gen board already got those specs right?

so if i want to use my ssd full speed i need a motherborard that has sata6 or do i need to find like sata2 6 or sata 3 6 ?
Or you can get SATA 3 PCIE controller card.
PEXESAT322I.C.jpg