[SOLVED] SSD slower than my HARDRIVE?!

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
So I did some AS SSD benchmark tests and realized by Sandisk SSD Plus 1TB is EXTREMELY slow. I have no clue why this is and would love some tips on how to get my SSD running at its rated speed (500mbps). Ive attached below some benchmarks of my SSD and my HDD and the HDD is MUCH faster than my SSD and I have no clue why.

Hardrive benchmark View: https://imgur.com/WKDZS8F

SSD benchmark View: https://imgur.com/4uVUV7U

Things Ive tried:
Freeing up space (over 40% of space is available)
Norton disk optimization
Reformatting

Not sure what the issue is but some help would be greatly appreciated. This SSD is about 2 years old but my hardrive is four years old so I cant imagine why the SSD would be this much slower than my hardrive being much newer.

Solution
You can try swapping SATA cables (both SATA pwr and data), as well as another SATA port on mainboard...

If no change, lend the SSD to someone else to test in their desktop...; if the symptoms follow the SSD in question, you are done troubleshooting.

(Do you have any other drives connected? Disconnect all other non-OS drives during testing)
You can try swapping SATA cables (both SATA pwr and data), as well as another SATA port on mainboard...

If no change, lend the SSD to someone else to test in their desktop...; if the symptoms follow the SSD in question, you are done troubleshooting.

(Do you have any other drives connected? Disconnect all other non-OS drives during testing)

Solution

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

I do have 3 other drives connected. Ill try a SATA cable swap aswell as booting without the other drives connected. Hoepfully that fixes it if not Ill stick it in my laptop and see if the issue persists. Thanks for the tips, Ill get back with my results.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

Just downloaded it and ran the SMART diagnostics test. It detected no problems and the drive looks relatively healthy. What is really interesting is that after I updated my windows and did a benchmark the write speed is now much faster and about the rated speed. The read speed however is still extremely slow.

View: https://imgur.com/a/SV8MS4N

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
..no Hdd, should be faster the SSD. Not adding up. Did you buy SSD new?

Yes I did. Its about a year old. The HDD im comparing it with is 4 years old. Doesnt make much sense. We did fix the writespeed, a windows update seemed to have fixed that, but my read speed is barely 9mbps on average which is WAY slower than my hdd. Trying a few troubleshooting tips mentioned here in the thread and will report back

Reactions: apollothesun

apollothesun

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
Yes I did. Its about a year old. The HDD im comparing it with is 4 years old. Doesnt make much sense. We did fix the writespeed, a windows update seemed to have fixed that, but my read speed is barely 9mbps on average which is WAY slower than my hdd. Trying a few troubleshooting tips mentioned here in the thread and will report back
...in any case, you might have faulty SSD. Try running it on another PC.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

View: https://imgur.com/a/uimjzXV

Just installed the SSD on my sisters old fx-6300 syetm and it worked perfectly fine at the rated speeds. Seems as if this wouldnt be a software issue considering how outdated her system is and it worked fine. Atleast thats what it seems to me.