SSD Slowly Filling up Space

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
So recently installed my new SSD Drive it is a Kingston 120GB V300 SSD, and i installed windows and all of the new updates and i had around 90GB Left i then installed a few programs nothing serious like Fraps, Steam, Origin, GeForce Experiance, i then had 79GB Left which is more than enough as i only have my OS On the SSD And im only planning to install programs as i have 2 1TB Hard Drives to save all of my games on although i partitioned one of my hard drives so i had an extra 100GB Of program storage but the problem is i have noticed my SSD Is slowly filling up without me actually downloading or installing anything on the drive i have used disk cleanup i hasve defragged the SSD i have made sure there is no downloads is the downloads section i have made sure there is nothing in the reycycle bin but the ssd is slowly filling up i had 79GB but i now had 78GB i know its only 1GB but im scared as it kereps filling up and up and im worried that eventually i will totally run out of space. and one other question if someone could help me out is a 120GB enough for 2017 as im a gamer thats all i use my PC Primarly for i watch videos (Kodi) and play games and occasionally do work in MS Office Word Powerpoint so on, i was just wondering if 120GB Is enough for 2017 as i have just bought it and was wondering if someone could help me with the space issue thanks :)

Solution
1) 120 gig SSD when formatted is approx. 80 ->85 gigs.

2) You are OK as long as your free space is => 20 gigs (Need about 20% free so that wear leveling algorithm can works it’s magic. SO YOUR GOOD as long as you only use about 60 Gigs, When you hit 60 gigs used, start looking for a larger SSD.

3) While I recommend a 240/256 gig SSD for OS + Programs, for Many a 120/128 gig will work. I’m not a gamer But on all my systems (3 desktops and 5 Laptops) My OS + programs only use about 30-> 35 gigs. Have Office 2013 Prof, w/ Outlook, Word Perfect office suite, DVD/Blu-ray program, Video converter and adobe Acrobat standard, Plus many small apps.

4) What I do to A) Minimize Writes and Minimize space that Win 10 takes:

A) Disable...

USAFRet

Titan
1. Don't defrag the SSD. Serves no purpose, and just introduces unnecessary write cycles.

2. 'recently installed' = lots of System Restore points as you install other things.

3. What size is your pagefile?
Hibernation still on?

4. No, a 120GB SSD is sort of on the small size. Unless you are rabid about what goes where.

5. WinDirStat (Run as Administrator) to see what is using your spae.

1) 120 gig SSD when formatted is approx. 80 ->85 gigs.

2) You are OK as long as your free space is => 20 gigs (Need about 20% free so that wear leveling algorithm can works it’s magic. SO YOUR GOOD as long as you only use about 60 Gigs, When you hit 60 gigs used, start looking for a larger SSD.

3) While I recommend a 240/256 gig SSD for OS + Programs, for Many a 120/128 gig will work. I’m not a gamer But on all my systems (3 desktops and 5 Laptops) My OS + programs only use about 30-> 35 gigs. Have Office 2013 Prof, w/ Outlook, Word Perfect office suite, DVD/Blu-ray program, Video converter and adobe Acrobat standard, Plus many small apps.

4) What I do to A) Minimize Writes and Minimize space that Win 10 takes:

A) Disable Hibernation: Open Command prompt, With admin privilege. Type “Powerconfig /hibernate Off” Without quotes and press enter. But reboot to get rid of hibrer.sys file
B) Limit Nr of restore points. Each restore point will take about 300 megs and windows 10 will allocate about 3 to 5 % of your disk space for restore points – See: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reduce-space-windows-10-system-restore-uses/
C) Take control of your Page file (Memory swap file). Windows will set this value to about 1.5 x amount of physical RAM. Set Min and max to same value (Dependent on amount of installed ram) and set page file to your HDD. I have 16 gigs ram and I set my min and max both to 4000 Megs. (NOTE: I do not recommend, even with 16 gigs ram, setting page file to 0 as some programs will baulk if it does not fine a page file.
D) SEE: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/
E) You can (If needed) move Documents, downloads from C drive to a 2nd drive.
SEE: https://www.google.com/search?q=move+my+documents+and+downloads+from+ssd+to+hdd&oq=Move+My+Documents+and+downloads+from+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.33i22i29i30k1l4.22137.39093.0.44258.37.37.0.0.0.0.219.5681.0j35j2.37.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.36.5433...0j0i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i67k1j0i22i30k1.VFehwUhe_Gs

As USAFRet stated - NEVER Defrag an SSD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS