SSD - Solid State - Hard Drives - Who is the fastest - Most Reliable

SnipeAway1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I have a Corsair Force series 3GB bandwidth, 120GB SSD, Solid State Hard Drive... I really like it a lot and have not had any issues with it at all... Great Drive.... Windows 7 rating is 7.6... My asus p8p67 motherboard supports the 6GB bandwidth and I am wondering if anyone currently owns a 6GB bandwidth SSD Drive that gets a windows rating of 7.9 and can say it has been a rock solid drive for them... I am thinking of upgrading... Thanks.

OCZ Vertex 3 are the fastest. OCZ drives have had reliability issues, most of which have been resolved with their latest firmware version 2.15. I have 2 Vertex 2 drives in RAID-0 for a year and have never had any issues with them.

Intel drives are the most reliable although they are slightly more expensive.
Their 510 series drives are really good.

Crucial M4 series drive are also really good and have been getting positive reviews.

If you're hesitent about getting an OCZ drive go with an M4.

Most of the sata III SSds should hit 7.8/7.9 WEI as long as THEY are properly set up.
Both of my systems hit 7.9 My I5-2500K W/Aglity III 128 Gig SSD (Lower end and not recommended choice) and My 128 gig Crucial M4 (My SSD of choice although I may start recommending the Samsung 800 series on a I5-2410m laptop score 7.9

I prefer the Intel Chipset (over AMD) for SSDs and make sure the Bios is set to AHCI and that you download and instal the latest Intel RST driver, currently version 10.6

As to reliability SSDs should be more reliable - No moving parts. Jury still out as I know of no one that has used for 4 Plus years. I'm hitting a couple of years and a few of mine. Currenly have 7 SSDs In use and one spare.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
7.9 rating? Like Windows experience index? My x25-M gets a 7.6 and I wouldn't call it a fast drive.

The first drive I got was from Intel. I RMA's two drives from OCZ (whos problems I hear are getting better), and my laptop drive is a cruical M4 which I got on sale.

A big thing for me is watching for drives that are on sale. I believe Corsair, Intel, OCZ, Crucial, Sandisc, Samsung, and Kingston all make decent drives (I'd rank Intel and Crucial as most reliable, and probably OCZ as least reliable). The OCZ Solid III was on shellshocker at newegg yesterday, and crucial M4s seem to be going on sale somewhere all the time.

This all said, you would have to be a very sensitive person to notice an extreme difference between your current drive and a good SATAIII drive.

OCZ Vertex 3 – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive $489.99 and a $30 rebate = $459.99

Read 550mb/s , Write 500mb/s

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F240GBGT-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $419.99

Read 555mb/s , Write 525mb/s

The Corsair when compared to the OCZ at the same size is both faster and cheaper. I have used both and have yet to have the OCZ SSD reach a 7.9 rating or the advertised speeds.

The Samsung 470 are very close to the Intel G2 SSD for reliability (The Intel G2 being the standard). Sumsung has just come out with their Sata III SSD (800 series).

The Intel 510 uses the marvel internal controller same as the Curcial M4, only diff is firmware. Note: this is the first intel SSD to NOT use an Intel controller. But I also hear that Intel is going to reduce OEM and concentrat on the expensive enterprize drives.

Added: Sequencial read/write performance are LEAST important matrix for a OS + program drive. With Sanforce controller it is further meanless as the advertized performance use data that is readily compressable - NOT REAL life.
For OSD drive look at 4k random performance or better yet look at reviews that use PCMark Vantage Benchmark (closer to real life).

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010