[SOLVED] SSD speed low after accidentally defragging

BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
I had an old sd card that was corrupted and i coudnt view the data so i was messing around when i came across drive deragmenting. It said the storage hadn't defragmented and that i should to increase efficiency so i did. After it finished i realized that i didnt have a hard drive but a ssd. So after that my ssd is extremly slow and read and write speeds have plumeted. I know it was a stupid action on my behalf but its a 1tb ssd and i really want to fix it. Is ther any way to reverse this or increase the speed back to what it originally was?
thank you

BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
Not an answer per se - just more information needed for the record.

Update your post to include make and model SSD? 1 TB capacity - correct? How full?

What software was used to defrag the SSD?

The brand of the ssd is WD elements with 1tb of stock storage. At the moment there is 931.48gb of free space. The model is 25a2. The software used to defrag was "Defrag and optimize" app built in on windows 10 version 20H2

Ralston18

Titan
If the SSD already had problems then all may be moot to begin with.

The accidental defragging (or any sort of drive activity for that matter) may have taken the drive over the proverbial "edge".

Try running WD's diagnostic tool:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279&lang=en

(You want Digital Dashboard not Data Lifeguard which is now obsolete.)

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Solution

BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
If the SSD already had problems then all may be moot to begin with.

The accidental defragging (or any sort of drive activity for that matter) may have taken the drive over the proverbial "edge".

Try running WD's diagnostic tool:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279&lang=en

(You want Digital Dashboard not Data Lifeguard which is now obsolete.)

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

The drive was working perfectly before this incident. I will check out this software, hopefully it helps.

BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
So i booted up the software. It appears to be more than fine. Health wise at least. Only issue I have is that its giving me a different used capacity reading to what windows is giving me so not sure what to believe.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
We all have done dumb stuf that won't kill a drive. It just (moves the data). Why they tell us not to defragment (SSD works different i'm surpised widows let you if it was an SSD) or run speed tests, they just wear and SSD and dont' need to be done.

You don't' give us any information to really answer. what was the speeds before and after? Is the driving having issues before all this?

Last edited by a moderator:

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I had an old sd card that was corrupted and i coudnt view the data so i was messing around when i came across drive deragmenting. It said the storage hadn't defragmented and that i should to increase efficiency so i did. After it finished i realized that i didnt have a hard drive but a ssd. So after that my ssd is extremly slow and read and write speeds have plumeted. I know it was a stupid action on my behalf but its a 1tb ssd and i really want to fix it. Is ther any way to reverse this or increase the speed back to what it originally was?
thank you
I'd try a quick format. After everything is backed up of course.