SSD, SSHD or HDD- what to buy

Tim Tastic

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hi forum

Out of fear of HDD failure (my HDD must be turning 7 years old) I want to buy some new storage. My PC now runs on an SSD, and most of my games are installed on this HDD. Right now nearly 400 GB of the 1 TB HDD is in use, and I don't expect it to become much more.

My question: what would be wise to buy? I've read that SSHDs are faster than HDDs, but my technical knowledge isn't too great and I don't know if buying an SSHD instead of an HDD primarily for gaming would be any good. The files I work in are stored on a server, so there's no need to take that into account. Also, what would be the best brand or even the best model to buy?

My budget is about 100€ / 100 $ / 85 £

Solution

Think about it, you already have an SSD that supports...
In that budget I would get another HHD from western digital.

Your SSD should be sufficient enough for now. SSHD is a hybrid, and basically the files you most frequently will be stored on the SSD portion. All other data will be stored on the HDD. I would recommend getting another HDD because it's budget-friendly, and allows you to have more capacity.

I agree with Herc08. For your budget a 500gb SSD is not going to be the quality I would want for an SSD. But you can easily get a new 1tb HDD for 60-70USD that should meet your needs. If you could save up for a little bit or earn another $60 I would get a 500gb samsung evo.

I would:

-Buy a WD 1 TB Blue (~$45-50).
-Pick up a 128 or 256 GB SSD and load OS to it. (plenty in the $40-60 price range)

You'll have a noticeably more responsive system with tons of of storage space on the platter drive Use the SSD for OS tasks, swap file, and commonly used applications.

He already has an SSD for his OS. He really just needs to update the hard drive.

Tim Tastic

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
I looked around a bit and found the Seagate ST500LM000 (500GB HDD, 8GB SSD)
Now this fits perfectly in my budget, but I could also go with a 1 TB HDD from WD. As you said I should buy an HDD, why should I NOT buy this SSHD? Would the pros of the SSHD outweigh the less storage capacity?

Think about it, you already have an SSD that supports. If you get that hybrid, you get 508GB of space, only 8 of it goes on the SSD. Again that is for frequently used data. I don't know many games that is less than 8GB. Getting the 1TB will give you more space, and the only thing you will sacrifice is a few seconds of loading times. As far as gameplay, it will not effect it at all. With your current SSD, you should be good.

Solution

Tim Tastic

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Thanks a bunch, will buy an HDD!

SSHD don't really offer a great performance benefit over a standard HDD. Furthermore you are reliant on the Drive to decide which information to load into the SSD to speed performance. It's really best used in a cheap PC where it can load OS components into the SSD portion and use the disk for storage. Furthermore for gaming the SDD component of an SSHD is not sufficient for 30-40GB games, as last I remember the SSD portion is 8gb or so. If you didn't already have a SSD it *might* be worth considering but since you already have one it's not a great value proposition. Most of that is my personal opinions YMMV.

Ah, I missed that.

Like others have said, a fast 7200 RPM hard drive will be better than a SSHD in this application.