Question SSD standoff detached from motherboard [MSI Z690 Tomahawk]

Jan 6, 2022
Hello,

One of my SSD standoffs came lose and it detached from the motherboard when I was screwing the SSD heatsink. I cannot fix it since it does not have a thread to screw back into the motherboard, it is completely flat so I presume it was glued into the mobo?

Is there a safe way to attach it back to the motherboard?

Here are a couple of pictures
View: https://imgur.com/a/hBLkK6b

Thank you

Hello,

One of my SSD standoffs came lose and it detached from the motherboard when I was screwing the SSD heatsink. I cannot fix it since it does not have a thread to screw back into the motherboard, it is completely flat so I presume it was glued into the mobo?

Is there a safe way to attach it back to the motherboard?

Here are a couple of pictures
View: https://imgur.com/a/hBLkK6b

Thank you
They are removable so you could fit different length SSDs. and put them in different holes. According to manual they have threads so if you don't see them, they might be stripped. There should be few more in the kit so you can try another one in same hole and others.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Jan 6, 2022
They are removable so you could fit different length SSDs. and put them in different holes. According to manual they have threads so if you don't see them, they might be stripped. There should be few more in the kit so you can try another one in same hole and others.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, in the motherboard's box there are some spare SSD standoff but they are different than the one that is broken. The broken one is used to screw the heatsink included with the motherboard. Also the broken one is perfectly flat, I do not think it had a thread and the hole on the motherboard is also perfectly flat and smooth.

Do you know how the one in the picture is attached to the motherboard? I understand that the most logical would be with a screw but since it does not seem to work this way, is there any other way manufacturers use to put those things into the motherboard? And if so, can I replicate that on my own in a safe way?

Many thanks

Thank you for your help.

Yes, in the motherboard's box there are some spare SSD standoff but they are different than the one that is broken. The broken one is used to screw the heatsink included with the motherboard. Also the broken one is perfectly flat, I do not think it had a thread and the hole on the motherboard is also perfectly flat and smooth.

Do you know how the one in the picture is attached to the motherboard? I understand that the most logical would be with a screw but since it does not seem to work this way, is there any other way manufacturers use to put those things into the motherboard? And if so, can I replicate that on my own in a safe way?

Many thanks
What about other M.2 slots, what is in them ? According to manual there should also one heat sink/spreader for each standard length of M.2 drives so all places should be same. I know of only one, cheap A320 MB that came with the post riveted to MB.
If yours is smooth on standoff and n MB, maybe you could just super glue it in place ?
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7D32v2.0_v3.0.pdf

Jan 6, 2022
What about other M.2 slots, what is in them ? According to manual there should also one heat sink/spreader for each standard length of M.2 drives so all places should be same. I know of only one, cheap A320 MB that came with the post riveted to MB.
If yours is smooth on standoff and n MB, maybe you could just super glue it in place ?
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7D32v2.0_v3.0.pdf

Thank you for your help.

The other M.2 slots are ok but the one I am using it is the fastest one if I am not mistaken.
In principle it is only to secure the SSD heatsink in my case but It serves as secondary ground for longer SSD. At least that is what I have been told.

Some people have suggested me to add a drop of epoxy, something called JB and others standard super glue. Some others told me the opposite.

At the end I ended up leaving as it is because it is more or less stable in place when I secure the SSD heatsink using the other 2 screws in the far right (one of them not visible in the picture)

TRENDING THREADS