Question SSD stopped working

May 1, 2021
Hi

I’ve a Samsung 850 Evo SSD disc on which I run Win 10. After having turned off my computer entirely for the first time in a few months, the computer refused to start. “Hard disc failure” was the reason on the disc running on SATA 3. Checking BIOS, I see that the SSD doesn’t show at all. Boot order only includes optical drive and one of my other storage discs. I unplugged all other discs and rebooted. Same problem. I switched the SSD from SATA 3 to the SATA 5 outlet and now the disc shows up in BIOS. However, I can’t make it show up in the boot option menu. I also tried to reinstall win 10, but the installation process can’t find a disc to instal on, even if bios still recognise the presence of a SSD.
Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You might want to take the SSD in question and use an external enclosure or dock to see if the culprit SSD is seen on a donor system. Make and model of your motherboard? Latest BIOS on said motherboard? Also, would you be able to recall what version of Windows 10 you were on prior to the mishap? Ideally you should be on version 20H2.

Try changing the SATA cable used to pair the SSD with your motherboard. What other parts are in your system? Some boards will need to share or disable ports/lanes in order to maintain device compatibility/functionality.

May 1, 2021
It’s a home build, built about 10 years ago if I recall correctly.
I can’t recall anything about Win 10 more than it is a Pro 64bit OS, updated frequently and should be on the latest update. Updates are set on automatic. The computer is more or less on 24/7.

Motherboard is an ASUS P6T Deluxe v2, BIOS Revision 0901. Intel i7 CPU 950.

SSD was installed a few years after the build. I would guess maybe around 2015.
Win 10 license is a free upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64bit when that free offer were made when Win 10 was released.
2 extra HDD are installed as storage space. A WD 2TB and a Seagate 4TB. Both showed up in BIOS until I unplugged them. The 4TB was installed in December 2020. The 2 TB has been there from the beginning.
An ASUS Nvidia graphic card (can’t recall exact model).
16 GB RAM if I recall correctly.
A Corsair HX 750 Power block.

it had been running without a hitch until now. The latest restart I’ve done was in the beginning of this week. It was the first complete shutdown since January.
I’ve tried with another SATA cable. Still failed. Same error message “SATA [x] Hard Disk Error”
I currently can’t hook it up to another pc, but I’ll try it when I get the opportunity.

Last edited: