SSD Storage upgrade struggles

DuikentVogeltje

Reputable
May 14, 2014
So i wanna upgrade my storage,
I am looking for about 500 Gb of storage i saw that 500Gb ssd`s are about 150 Pound
also i saw that 120 gb ssd`s are about 40 pound what if to get 4X 120 gb and put them in raid 0
instad of getting an one 500 gb ssd if dont minding the 10 pound difrents i will make weakly / dayly backups to not lose any data if one ssd fails.

(gotta be from amazon.co.uk tho)
(both drives were 500MB/s Read / Write)

Solution
D
RAID, especially 4 way RAID 0 is a terrible idea. Not only are you introducing 4 points of failure there is no speed advantage. Any decent 500GB SSD is going to basically max the SATA connection and smaller SSDs are slower than larger SSDs anyway.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
That's definitely an option, but I've done a 2 SSD RAID0 and it failed and became a real pain in the ass. Granted that when it worked I had read/writes of about 1100, but eventually I ended up with single drive speeds, BSODs, and headaches. Weird thing was that once I had the drives back into single drive setups, the read/writes were still over 500 even though at the end of my time in RAID the RAID0 speeds were only about 500/500.

D

Deleted member 217926

RAID, especially 4 way RAID 0 is a terrible idea. Not only are you introducing 4 points of failure there is no speed advantage. Any decent 500GB SSD is going to basically max the SATA connection and smaller SSDs are slower than larger SSDs anyway.

Solution