Question SSD suddenly becomes unbootable with "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message

Sep 18, 2021
Hi everyone, i build my pc in early 2020 and it was pretty stable, no random crashes or anything weird, until yesterday's morning when i turned it on and it didn't boot telling me it has nothing to boot from "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I didn't make any hardware changes nor installed anything related the day before, but checked BIOS anyways and didn't find anything suspicious, the SSD was there and had the right boot priorities. I had my old HDD laying around which i connected in the place of the SDD and tried to boot from it just to check if the cables were fine or system in general and it booted without any issues. Then i connected SSD as a secondary drive and ran chkdsk on it (this is my first SSD) and it found some bad sectors but not many, also SSD diagnostic tool that i downloaded from the brands support webpage couldn't detect it. Long story short i didn't have much time to diagnose and ended up formating completely the SSD and installing a fresh Windows 10 copy, thinking that if it will fail in the process or right after it means the SSD is corrupted and should be returned, it still has a warranty on it. So right after succesfull installation, i ran brands diagnostic tool, this time it worked and it said that the SSD is in good condition and has 96% of life in it (i'll attach SMART info). And i'm not sure what's next, is this SSD not reliable anymore and what could be possibly the reason for it to "crash" this way how can i prevent such crashes in the future?

SMART Info ID,Attribute Name,Raw Values 0x1,Number of ECC Error,54324, 0x9,Power-on Hours Count,7062, 0xC,Power on/off cycles,1439, 0xA8,SATA PHY Error Count,0, 0xAA,Bad Block Count (Early),186, 0xAA,Bad Block Count (Later),272, 0xAD,Erase count (avg erase count),93, 0xAD,Erase count (max erase count),137, 0xC0,Unexpected Power Loss Count,80, 0xC2,Current Temp,33, 0xC2,Min Temp,33, 0xC2,Max Temp,33, 0xDA,CRC Error Count,0, 0xE7,Percetage of SSD Life,96, 0xF1,Host Write (MB),25522,

Hi everyone, i build my pc in early 2020 and it was pretty stable, no random crashes or anything weird, until yesterday's morning when i turned it on and it didn't boot telling me it has nothing to boot from "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I didn't make any hardware changes nor installed anything related the day before, but checked BIOS anyways and didn't find anything suspicious, the SSD was there and had the right boot priorities. I had my old HDD laying around which i connected in the place of the SDD and tried to boot from it just to check if the cables were fine or system in general and it booted without any issues. Then i connected SSD as a secondary drive and ran chkdsk on it (this is my first SSD) and it found some bad sectors but not many, also SSD diagnostic tool that i downloaded from the brands support webpage couldn't detect it. Long story short i didn't have much time to diagnose and ended up formating completely the SSD and installing a fresh Windows 10 copy, thinking that if it will fail in the process or right after it means the SSD is corrupted and should be returned, it still has a warranty on it. So right after succesfull installation, i ran brands diagnostic tool, this time it worked and it said that the SSD is in good condition and has 96% of life in it (i'll attach SMART info). And i'm not sure what's next, is this SSD not reliable anymore and what could be possibly the reason for it to "crash" this way how can i prevent such crashes in the future?

SMART Info ID,Attribute Name,Raw Values 0x1,Number of ECC Error,54324, 0x9,Power-on Hours Count,7062, 0xC,Power on/off cycles,1439, 0xA8,SATA PHY Error Count,0, 0xAA,Bad Block Count (Early),186, 0xAA,Bad Block Count (Later),272, 0xAD,Erase count (avg erase count),93, 0xAD,Erase count (max erase count),137, 0xC0,Unexpected Power Loss Count,80, 0xC2,Current Temp,33, 0xC2,Min Temp,33, 0xC2,Max Temp,33, 0xDA,CRC Error Count,0, 0xE7,Percetage of SSD Life,96, 0xF1,Host Write (MB),25522,
Post a screenshot of crystal disk info.

Sep 18, 2021
Keep your backups current.
Keep an eye on the read error rate and the bad block count.
If those numbers keep going up think about replacing the unit.
ok i will i just thought SSDs are smart enough to prevent such accidents and it takes much more to knock them down than this

Last edited: