Question SSD suddenly dead?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello... so im in a bit of a panic here

Here is what happened:
So... I was moving things around my case, preparing for my new Ryzen install and moving from Intel, I wasn't going to do it today so it was mere preparations and tests of what new parts had currently arrived. Long story short all of my tests worked and I manged to get everything working but when I was plugging everything back into the old motherboard I connected the wrong CPU cable, it was the second one and not the primary, at first I thought they were both the same, just that some CPUs need double and so I plugged in whichever one and when I tried to power on my system, it wouldn't power on at all. I went there and quickly checked the CPU cable, notcing that the two connectors although both for the CPU were NOT Identical. I connected the primary one and thank god my computer turned on

But here is the thing, my Windows installation was blue-screening, it was displaying 'CANNOT UNMOUNT BOOT PARTITION' or something along those lines and was doing the same thing for about 3 times, I tried booting into safe mode but after about 5 boots it wouldn't boot at all! it would just display '0x00000cf' on a blank screen. At that point I was like ok the SSD Is dead, but how? I don't understand how plugging the wrong CPU cable in didn't kill the mobo or the CPU, In fact I'm writing this from the same computer that booted into my Lubuntu drive and since I was into Lubuntu, apart from writing this, I decided to open GPARTED and have a look at the ssd and gparted actually fully recognises the SSD and all of it's partitions, in fact I can fully mount the typical recovery partition Windows 10 likes to make but not the primary ntfs partition with all my data on it. But after a reboot that changed as well, now Lubuntu complains about reading the drive and displays a bunch of errors in fsyncing. No idea what that means but it has "Your SSD is dead" written all over it

I don't really know what happened, maybe this was a coincidence but then again maybe not, it's very unlikely and too good for a coincidence

Any last tips before I throw the SSD away? Maybe my cheap VS350 did this somehow? (Don't worry i'm replacing it with a quality unit very soon)

what different CPU PWR connectors did you have to contend with? all I've heard of is 4+4, with the issue being do you have a pair of that? (Doubtful with a 350 watt unit) Are you sure you are not possibly looking confusing CPU PWR with PCI-e GPU 6 or 8 pin connectors? (could be disastrous to wedge one in somehow)

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
No it was not a PCI-E connector, it was a CPU 4+4 connector that can split into two 4 pin connectors. It does have two because the power supply is an awful unit from Corsair so I wouldn't expect to make much sense as to why such a low wattage unit has two

Here are my specs, It was late at night when I posted so apologies for not posting them initially

CPU: Core i3 61000
GPU: GTX 950
RAM: 8GB Single Channel
PSU: Corsair VS350 (going to be replaced by a CX550)
Motherboard: H110M-R ASUS
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo (Yes that's the one that died)

The SSD is 3 or 4 years old and is my main drive, maybe this was a coincidence and it was time for the drive to die since I was writing and reading from it everysingle day for 3-4 years but then again the coincidence is not too convincing, doesn't make sense....... How did this really happen?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Update: So I returned home today and immediately jumped back to investigate the SSD and guess what! IT'S NOT DEAD!!!!!! I connected it to a Windows 8 computer and ran the chkdsk utility with the f switch and it detected a bunch of problems in my NTFS partitions and fixed them! Now I can access data normally and it appears in Windows Explorer fine

I also downloaded Samsung's SSD Magician and all is good, it reports a healthy drive but a a total of 1.9 TB of data has been written over it's life time, im not sure if that's an okay amount

So after repairing the file system I put it back into my computer but it still displays 0xc00000f error and does not go to Windows at all, I'm guessing Windows is corrupted as well

So... what in the world could cause a file system and operating system corruption? surely that can't be related to me plugging the wrong CPU connector but maybe a virus? Didn't really download anything shady or anything at all for that matter. It's all just a perfectly lined up coincidence that I did suspect but refused to believe

I'm downloading a Windows 10 ISO as we speak... i'll attempt an operating system repair

Update 2: Well after 2 hours of suffering, I deducted that Windows itself was fine, no corruptions but the problem was that it simply didn't know where my boot EUFI partition is. the partition itself was fine so all I had to do was boot into an elevated command prompt from the Windows DVD I burned and do bcdboot C:\Windows /s G: (G being the EFI partition mounted from diskpart) and boom! it rebuilted the boot file! I have absolutely no idea what caused all these file system corruptions (which is also why Windows was so confused about the EUFI partition I imagine) but I noticed everytime I booted from the Windows DVD I burned it would say: "The installation has detected that whilst you were upgrading Windows you booted into the installation media. Please shut off your computer to continue the upgrade, Otherwise press No to continue with a clean installation" so... Windows was upgrading before this happened? Was it a Windows update that caused all this?!?!

Either way all is well that ends well. I am just glad my SSD is alright and I don't have to buy a new one! Thanks to anyone who offered help!

Last edited: