[SOLVED] SSD suddenly overheats and dies

mikael_schiffer

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I bought a Adata SX 6000 512GB NVME SSD from from an online store recently
On installation it started having problems. Sometimes, if stressed a bit,like copying files for sometime, it overheats and simply dies.
Using Adata's SSD Toolbox software, i monitored it. When the SSD utilization hits 100% , the SSD Toolbox crashes. When i reopen the SSD Toolbox app, the temperature shows 60000+ degrees, and the drive becomes inaccessible (as shown in the screenshot)
I have to restart my PC to get make the SSD show up again.

However, sometimes it works absolutely fine. I even managed to install games and run some Crystal mark benchmarks.
But out of nowhere the overheating problem occurs again.

My specs:

Amd Ryzen 1500x
8GB Ram
Gigabyte B350M D3H
Gtx 1050ti
Antec VP 500
other storage: 1 TB HDD and 120GB SSD (both SATA)
Windows 10

ssd-overheat.jpg
123213.jpg

Pleaze help i spent a lot of money on this
Is this some software related issue (which i can fix) ?

Last edited:
Solution
"I bought a Adata SX 6000 512GB NVME SSD from from an online store recently... "

Warranty replacement.
Or preferably, a full refund, and buy a better drive.
65263 = 0xFEEF (a negative hexadecimal number)

0x10000 - 65,263 = 273

So the SSD is actually reporting a temperature of -273 degC (= 0 degrees Kelvin = absolute zero).

In other words, it appears that the SSD does not have a temperature sensor.

You can view the raw SMART attribute data using CrystalDiskInfo:
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

CrystalDiskInfo will probably report a raw value of 0xFEEF for the temperature. Adata's tool interprets this as an unsigned 16-bit number, so it evaluates it as 65263 in decimal. The SSD firmware, OTOH, understands this to be a signed 16-bit number, in which case it evaluates to -273.

Last edited:

mikael_schiffer

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
"I bought a Adata SX 6000 512GB NVME SSD from from an online store recently... "

Warranty replacement.
Or preferably, a full refund, and buy a better drive.
The online store says i have to RMA it.
I contacted ADATA and they said i have to go to their service centre for RMA. There is no service centre in my State and ADATA does not accept RMA via courier. I have to go there personally.

mikael_schiffer

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
65263 = 0xFEEF (a negative hexadecimal number)

0x10000 - 65,263 = 273

So the SSD is actually reporting a temperature of -273 degC (= 0 degrees Kelvin = absolute zero).

In other words, it appears that the SSD does not have a temperature sensor.

You can view the raw SMART attribute data using CrystalDiskInfo:
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

CrystalDiskInfo will probably report a raw value of 0xFEEF for the temperature. Adata's tool interprets this as an unsigned 16-bit number, so it evaluates it as 65263 in decimal. The SSD firmware, OTOH, understands this to be a signed 16-bit number, in which case it evaluates to -273.
After i shut down the PC and i touch the SSD , its not very hot. Maybe the SSD thinks its running too hot because its sensors are bugged.
Can i fool the SSD to think its not running hot? Maybe limit SSD utilisation to 90% maximum. I wouldnt mind slowing the SSD down to 100Mbps. As long as it is usable i am fine.

TRENDING THREADS