[SOLVED] SSD suggestion, compatibility and information

radinrahman26

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
I have a 240 gb SATA 6 gb/s SSD and 1 tb HDD. The HDD is almost dead. So im thinking of buying another SSD instead of HDD.
My question:
  1. Are there any compability issues between 2 SSD that i should know about, before buying?
  2. will it be better to get a M.2 instead?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are there any compability issues between 2 SSD that i should know about, before buying?
Not if you're using regular 2.5 SATA ones, all you need then is the additional cables and space for the additional drive. If you're replacing the current HDD, then you'll already have the cables.

will it be better to get a M.2 instead?
Well this depends on your MB. And there are two types, SATA vs NVME. M2 is not a faster drive in itself, it's just how it connects to the MB. Plus side it doesn't need any cables.

Reactions: radinrahman26
Assuming the hard drive uses a SATA interface, there should be no issues replacing it with an SSD. You can run 2 ssds without issues.

What motherboard do you have? M.2 is just a form factor. There are both SATA drives and faster nvme drives that used the m.2 interface. Sata m.2 will perform like a 2.5in m.2. NVME will be a little faster but not really that much.

Reactions: radinrahman26