[SOLVED] SSD swap without win7 reinstall?

38michael

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I´m currently running a 120GB mSATA SSD on my laptop along with 1000GB HDD.

I´d like to swap the SSD for 500GB mSATA SSD.

Is there any way to just clone the SSD I´m running now and get everything onto the new SSD without windows reinstall? Kind of like copy and paste?

The problem is I have no way to have them connected at the same time as I only have one mSATA slot.

Thanks for advice..

Solution
Assuming you have an external drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current 128GB drive, you do this with an Image.
You will also need a USB flash drive of 4GB or so.

Thusly:
1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that...

38michael

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
I was just looking at something like this. So say I connect the new mSATA through this adapter, how exactly do I copy the old SSD contents onto the new one ? (Yes it´s a boot drive)

And when I copy everything, do I just swap them inside and the job´s done ? I boot and use everything as usual without any data loss?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I was just looking at something like this. So say I connect the new mSATA through this adapter, how exactly do I copy the old SSD contents onto the new one ? (Yes it´s a boot drive)

And when I copy everything, do I just swap them inside and the job´s done ? I boot and use everything as usual without any data loss?

My old PC had a HDD as the boot drive, and when I bought a Samsung SSD I used Samsung's data migration tool to clone the HDD boot drive to the SSD via an adapter. I just followed the instructions. Super easy. Then I removed the HDD and put the SSD in its place and everything worked fine. No data loss at all. All files, all drivers, all settings were exactly the same as before.

If you just use copy & paste you wouldn't get all the system files that are hidden from the user, but these cloning tools clones everything from the original drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming you have an external drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current 128GB drive, you do this with an Image.
You will also need a USB flash drive of 4GB or so.

Thusly:
1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new mSATA
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.

Solution

38michael

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
Thank you all guys for help.. I think I´m just gonna buy mSATA to USB adapter, it´s around 8 quid here and I´ll clone it straight from the current SSD onto the new one and then just swap them.