SSD "the device is not ready"

Dean_Maytrap

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
its a thread ive searched for and found on here already, though most if not all cases appear to be dealing with pre-used SSD and HDD, whereas mine is brand new out of the box

simple scenario, all plugged into the rig, open disk management, go to initialise the new drive, get the error message "the device is not ready"

i did this same thing last year and had no problems
the cable this time around is of a different make to the others ive got in there at the moment, could that really be the source of the problem?

Dean_Maytrap

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
update: fixed it

opened it up again, simply removed and re-attached the sata cable at the SSD (doing the old "cartridge blow" before hand), powered back up, tried to initialise, this time got the message "the device is write protected"
cleared the write protection in the command prompt, then it worked perfectly

im quite sure its going to S7 on me and blow up (samsung, forever tainted!), but its fixed and working for now. Some things, strange........

Assuming you want to wipe/initialize teh whole drive, open an admin command prompt and type this:

**WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL WIPE AND ENTIRE DISK, NOT JUST A PARTITION**

diskpart
list disk
select disk x(where x is the number of the SSD in case)
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
assign letter=X (where X is the drive letter you want for it)

Dean_Maytrap

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
i did try the cleaning option with diskpart previously, though it seemed an odd option since as i said, brand new drive out of the box that day, should be as clean af

in any case, that didnt work, but somehow blowing on the connectors like an old NES cartridge did. Bizarre

Well, tehre was probably some dust in there, so, nithing bizarre.