[SOLVED] SSD to m.2 cloning - 4 tools all provide errors

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

I've been trying to transfer my current SSD (which is my system drive) to my new m.2 drive. The m.2 drive is double the size of my current SSD.

I have tried: EaseUS, Macrium Reflect, DriveImageXML and AOMEI and all have failed in cloning the disk.

EaseUS said there were bad sectors but I've run a chkdisk on both and no errors. Others have reported 100% success using Macrium so I'm at a loss.

I'm scratching my head - any suggestions on what I could try?

Cheers,
Jamie

Solution
If your current drive has bad sectors, it will fail.
Or, maybe the target drive is bad.

If multiple tools fail, give it up and clean install.
Cloning is great when everything is perfect. When it fails even in the slightest...give it up and clean install.

USAFRet

Titan

Cloning is great when everything is perfect. When it fails even in the slightest...give it up and clean install.

Solution
Nov 1, 2019

Thanks ... was hoping to escape doing that but thinking about it now, it might be the best solution.

I was hoping to reuse my old SSD in my media server, but if it has bad sectors not sure how I'll get on with it ... fingers crossed!

cscooper2000

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
m2 sata or m2 nvme? m2 can come in either type.

Cloning from a sata SSD to an nvme SSD is not a 1-step process.
Interesting... I'm having the same issue. What are the steps?

I got my NVME M.2 clone working only when it was attached via USBc port. But once it's inside the system (attached to the NVME slot), no luck.

popatim

Titan
At this point, I think you just need to run Windows setup, from a disk or flash drive, to the point where is asks where you wish to install to. The Bios should load the driver for it and allow it to be detected which you probably won't see until you click the Drive options link (since it already has an OS on in it, windows installer won't show it)

DO NOT Install Windows, Exit after you see it detected; we just need the driver loaded into the bios so the bios can boot from it.