[SOLVED] ssd to m.2 data transfer

bashenderiks

Reputable
Sep 2, 2017
hello,

At the moment i have a samsung 860 evo 500gb sata ssd. and today i am going to upgrade to a samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m.2 ssd. i now want to change my ssd day as booot drive, so i want to transfer my files from my sata ssd to my m,2 ssd. my quistion is is this possible? do i need to do a clean install of windows, or is there another way to transfer my files to my m.2 ssd?

Kind regards.

Solution
hello,

At the moment i have a samsung 860 evo 500gb sata ssd. and today i am going to upgrade to a samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m.2 ssd. i now want to change my ssd day as booot drive, so i want to transfer my files from my sata ssd to my m,2 ssd. my quistion is is this possible? do i need to do a clean install of windows, or is there another way to transfer my files to my m.2 ssd?

Kind regards.
This, mostly...
Here, you use the Samsung Data Migration tool.
Disregard the cable swap portion, but DO power off and remove the old drive before powering up for the first time.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current...
hello,

Kind regards.
If you wish to transfer the OS and all your files you can clone the drive with Samsung Data migration software.
Just make sure the drive you wish to clone to is partitioned correctly. The software will auto format the new drive.
Sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason and requires a clean instal using the media creation tool.

Make sure your file system is nice and clean prior to cloning.
Here is a youtube vid:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJpAnQeHws

Last edited:

bashenderiks

Reputable
Sep 2, 2017
If you wish to transfer the OS and all your files you can clone the drive with Samsung Data migration software.
Just make sure the drive you wish to clone to is partitioned correctly. The software will auto format the new drive.
Sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason and requires a clean instal using the media creation tool.

Make sure your file system is nice and clean prior to cloning.
Here is a youtube vid:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJpAnQeHws
Hello,
that was the name, i couldent remember the name of that software. so a quisition. what exectly do i need to check if the drive is partitioned correctly, and what exectly do you mean with, make sure the system is nice an clean?
Greets

Some cloning software will not check how the drive to be cloned is partitioned. With using Samsung Migration software the target drive is formatted/wiped prior to cloning.

To clean up the files on your system.
  1. In your search bar type Disk cleanup
  2. Choose what type of files and folders to delete by ticking the boxes at the Files to delete section.
  3. Click OK.
  4. To delete system files that are no longer needed, click Clean up system files.

bashenderiks

Reputable
Sep 2, 2017
Some cloning software will not check how the drive to be cloned is partitioned. With using Samsung Migration software the target drive is formatted/wiped prior to cloning.

2. Choose what type of files and folders to delete by ticking the boxes at the Files to delete section.
  3. Click OK.
  4. To delete system files that are no longer needed, click Clean up system files.
[/QUOTE

3. Click OK.
Ah like that and if I dont clean up my system the software will do it by itself?

USAFRet

Titan
hello,

Kind regards.
This, mostly...
Here, you use the Samsung Data Migration tool.
Disregard the cable swap portion, but DO power off and remove the old drive before powering up for the first time.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution