SSD to replace OCZ Vertex 4

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I'm purchasing a new SSD soon to replace my OCZ Vertex 4 that is going to go into another build. I figure I'll buy a newer SSD for my main PC and use the older Vertex 4 in my new build which won't be used as much. The Vertex 4 is 256 GB and I'd like to maintain that size or go bigger, but currently I have about 40 GBs free.

I've done some research, and the Samsung 850 Evo seems like a great SSD, and I've always wanted a Samsung SSD for the reliability. However, I hear a lot about the TurboWrite feature and how when the cache is exhausted, the write speed drops down to 300 MB/s. I'm concerned, because my Vertex 4 is faster than that in writes all the time. So, in some scenarios, would the 850 Evo be a downgrade from my OCZ Vertex 4?

Is there a better SSD I should purchase instead of the 850 Evo? Keep in mind I'm coming from an OCZ Vertex 4, which in itself is a respectable SSD. Thanks for the advice & insight!

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Good choice.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $119.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 17:44 EST-0500

Solution

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I know it's a good choice. :) I'm concerned with the TurboWrite feature actually providing slower write speeds than my current SSD for workloads larger than 3 GBs. If that's the case, I think a different SSD may be better.

TRENDING THREADS