[SOLVED] SSD total read and writes higher than normal

mangaman

Honorable
I purchased a laptop about a month ago and it only has a 512GB nvme ssd as a drive. Since then, the total read and writes gone to the SSD have been quite high. I only have one game installed and play it every other day, but that can't be the reason for the high amount of total read/writes. The majority of my time on the computer is just watching YouTube videos and browsing the web. How can I find out what program or processes are doing this behavior? My laptop ides fine and my SSD barely reaches 5% utilization when on FireFox.

I remember restarting my laptop one day to see this unusual behavior and it added 10GB to the total writes to the SSD, without any updates or program installs. Just a normal restart.

Capture.png

Solution
Have hibernation turned on?
Watching utube vids can consume a surprising amount of writes.

But...759GB in a month is NOT a worry point. That is around 0.1 - 0.2% of the warranty TBW number.
Your first few weeks of a new drive or system, it seems like a lot of writes. This evens out quickly.

USAFRet

Titan

But...759GB in a month is NOT a worry point. That is around 0.1 - 0.2% of the warranty TBW number.
Your first few weeks of a new drive or system, it seems like a lot of writes. This evens out quickly.

Solution

mangaman

Honorable

Hibernation is off, as well as fast startup and superfetch. Seems odd that the system would read/write 10GB on a normal restart though.