Question SSD transferred to new mobo and cpu issue

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
I am currently in the process of a build and have my old windows 10 OS on a 500 gb SSD. I also have my games on another 500 gb SSD and a 1TB HDD installed. Weirdly enough when I took them all out of my old build and put them with my new B450 gaming plus max and ryzen 3600, everything started up fine after a quick loading screen, just as if nothing had happened. All my applications and files were still there, I was expecting a wipe (I had backed up everything to a external already) which was really confusing. My previous mobo was a b350 tomahawk and my cpu was a R5 1600x for reference, also I upgraded from windows 7, to 10. I don't know if this is healthy for the drive for a new build or should I wipe and go clean? What would be the best way of doing a wipe of a drive with the current OS still on it?

USAFRet

Titan
When doing this, 3 possiblities.
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

Seems you've found #1, with a small possibility of #3.

Yes, it sometimes works.

If you want:

Reactions: OrientalFlavored

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
When doing this, 3 possiblities.
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
Seems you've found #1, with a small possibility of #3.

Yes, it sometimes works.

If you want:
very interesting, is this a common thing nowadays or are more people running into issues?

When moving an existing installation to a new motherboard, I've found that Intel to Intel usually works fine and just need Windows reactivated. Moving from an Intel 60-90 series motherboards (sandy bridge to haswell) to 100-300 series usually have issues and requires the previous drivers to be uninstalled. AMD is sometimes the same way with moving from Intel or AMD to Intel. Generally it's best to just uninstall all previous drivers before moving an existing installation to a new motherboard. Sometimes a virus scanner needs to be uninstalled.

It's best to only try any of this with Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate editions and ultimately you are better off reinstalling Windows.

Reactions: OrientalFlavored