SSD UEFI Windows 10 installation help??

muelltfz

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
i want to install my new SSD with windows 10 in UEFI mode. how do you do that? im going to change it to AHCI in the bios though. will it setup automatically after i do that? im a newbie with this please help!! thank you.
yes my motherboard supports uefi

Solution
1) Make sure the Boot mode is set to uEFI NOT Legacy
2) If you are booting form a USB drive using something like rufus make sure you select GPT with uEFI. If you use the Windows Media Creation Tool you are good. If you are using a DVD then when you select a boot option make sure it is uEFI DVD and not Legacy DVD.

You will know if you do it right because when you select your hard drive that you want (the ssd) and then hit new for the partition, it will ask to make a few other partitions and let it. You should have two small 500MB or so partitions and THEN the C Drive after it. If it looks like that then you are golden!
1) Make sure the Boot mode is set to uEFI NOT Legacy
2) If you are booting form a USB drive using something like rufus make sure you select GPT with uEFI. If you use the Windows Media Creation Tool you are good. If you are using a DVD then when you select a boot option make sure it is uEFI DVD and not Legacy DVD.

You will know if you do it right because when you select your hard drive that you want (the ssd) and then hit new for the partition, it will ask to make a few other partitions and let it. You should have two small 500MB or so partitions and THEN the C Drive after it. If it looks like that then you are golden!

Solution

muelltfz

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

thanks sir! but how do you change dvd boot option from Legacy DVD to UEFI DVD ? cause thats what im going to do.

IF the bios is set for Legacy only, you will get legacy only, if it is set for uEFI with Legacy Options, you will see both options, if it is uEFI only then you will get uEFI only.

Best option is to set it to uEFI Only.

Also if secure boot is turned off turn it off and then turn it back on once the OS is installed. If you ever wanted to boot from something else you would have to turn this off and back on again.